• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone else thought of this?

Ive heard that F1 pepper cross seeds share the same genetic code as the other F1 seeds. Which means the F1 cross plant is the same as another F1 cross plant if those two pepper plants seeds came from the same pod. Although, once you grow the seeds from that, the peppers start to get funky and have some variations. If you keep growing them out, then theyll became stable. My though is that if you have an F1 cross thats perfect the way it is, you can take a branch from it, and graft it onto another pepper plant. You can keep doing this and get tons of the F1 crosses. If you sell the peppers you grow, you can also be a little mean using this method because none of the seeds in your crosses are stable, thus meaning your customers have to keep buying from you. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and if there is any downsides to doing so. Thank you.

I agree cloning works well.

Im pretty certain that a lot of commercially available seeds are in fact F1 seeds from stable parents.

You guys are right on cloning over grafting. Much easier. While its True there are alot of f1's available from stable parents. But there also quite a few that claim to be f1's but in reality are actually open pollinated lines.

Cloning and Grafting are fine, but I think the best solution would just be to repeat the cross. Just grow both parents and go out to them every day to cross. Not every cross will take, but with some practice you can get very good; capsicum is one of the easiest plant species to cross IMO.

Every seed from each of these crosses will be the same, so before long you will have thousands of identical F1 seeds. This is STILL how commercial seed companies make F1 seed for peppers, believe it or not it is all done by hand.

They graft the enjoya pepper onto hybrid root stock for increased vigor, production, and resistance.

To stabilize a strain you need a mother plant who gets pollinated from her son, then gets pollinated by her grandson, then pollinated by her great grandson and finally by her great great grandson.

Sounds gross huh? :-)

The fastest way is to have a clone from the mother plant in flower each time the next generations pollen is ready and pollinate the flowering clone. 

Note: This is how its done when you have male and female plants, peppers being self pollinating means its beyond my knowledge of how to not let the plants own pollen pollinate it.

Back