• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor 3W COB LED Clip Lamp - Good for indoor desk chile plant?

Hello All,

I've found this forum to be a wealth of information on LED grow lights.  Thanks to all who have relayed their experiences with LED lighting.  I've tried to familiarize myself with the topic, but the trouble is I'm a slow learner and I haven't yet attained a good understanding of a lot of the tech and specs of LED grow lights.

So, I thought I'd start out with a very simple, basic and specific question to those here with LED grow light expertise.

I'd like to grow and keep one small ornamental Medusa chile plant on my desk.

Would the following Flexible Gooseneck 3W COB LED Desk Clip Lamp Table Light be able to provide the necessary light requirements for one desk ornamental chile plant to keep it alive and growing so that it would eventually produce a few pods over time?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Modern-Style-Flexible-Gooseneck-3W-COB-LED-Desk-Clip-Lamp-Table-Light-Bedside-Reading-Lamp-with/32809136097.html

I'd appreciate any feedback on this matter.  And, if anyone has any other recommendations for a relatively inexpensive LED Desk Clip Light that would work as a grow light for a single indoor ornamental chile plant, I'd love to hear any recommendations, as well.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 88
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 93
Sorry but I can pretty much guarantee that it will not work. You can find a cheap LED grow light that would work for a little ornamental plant but more than likely it will be far too bright to keep on a work space like a desk. Even if you managed to get the plant to grow a little under that light (which I doubt), it would never produce pods.

Thank you for the replies. Looks like Ive got a long way to go with my understanding of LED grow lights.

I guess I just need the LED grow light selection process to be simpler, like when I first started growing seedlings under flourencent lights. I just went into Home Depot, bought some shop lights, and installed the recommended bulbs. Easy.

Perhaps for my one indoor ornamental Chile, I should just go to Home Depot and buy this LED grow bulb:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-60W-Equivalent-A19-Full-Spectrum-LED-Plant-Grow-Light-Bulb-A19-GROW-LEDG2/302049324

What does the group think about the Feit LED Grow Bulb?

Thanks again for the advice.

Hi wiilard3,
Thanks for the info.

Question: The specs on the Feit Electric A19 Full Spectrum LED Plant Grow Light Bulb that I could pick up from the local big box store state the following:
Energy used: 9-Watt (equivalent to a 60-Watt standard incandescent light bulb).

From your comment it seems a single indoor ornamental desk plant would need a 30W lamp in order to survive and grow.

For wattage requirements for the single indoor plant, and trying to determine if the Feit Electric LED grow bulb mentioned above would be sufficient for the plant, should I go by the 9W energy used wattage level, or the 60 Watt standard incandescent bulb equivalence level?

Thank you!

willard3 said:
You will need 3000 lumens per square foot of plant canopy to bring a chile to fruit.

Chinese  leds are about 100 lumens/watt

Hi willard3,

The LED grow bulbs in the enclosed link are 9W (they are mfg in China).  So, based on what you are saying, I would need about 3 of these bulbs shining on my desk chile plant in order to bring the plant to fruit?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-60W-Equivalent-A19-Full-Spectrum-LED-Plant-Grow-Light-Bulb-A19-GROW-LEDG2/302049324

Thank you.

Back