• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Growing sprouts in a glass jar

Nice video :)
I use a stainless steel screen that fits on mason jars. Available at sprouting seed suppliers.

F6fU3r5.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Nice video :)
I use a stainless steel screen that fits on mason jars. Available at sprouting seed suppliers.

F6fU3r5.jpg
Very cool! I'm going to attempt making something like that using plastic canvas material. I picked up a few sheets of it from the craft section of Wal-Mart the other day. Might be a little too thick, but I think it will work.

So I watched the video.... Even with with the fast-forwarding, soaking, rinsing, watering, skimming, citric acid powder, germ killing, days to germination, spoilage prevention, seed hull skimming, hydrogen peroxide bath, rinse them again, 5 days of attention... That's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back!!

Next time I want fresh bamboo shoots on my salad I'll stop by the grocery isle....

aa702530-beee-4c92-bd75-2c745f383083_1.a4a8aff531787cfffeda823421eeb88e.jpeg

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
So I watched the video.... Even with with the fast-forwarding, soaking, rinsing, watering, skimming, citric acid powder, germ killing, days to germination, spoilage prevention, seed hull skimming, hydrogen peroxide bath, rinse them again, 5 days of attention... That's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back!!

Next time I want fresh bamboo shoots on my salad I'll stop by the grocery isle....

I hear you, sometimes it is best to just buy you need already prepared, especially if you don't eat them that often. I like growing my own for a few reasons. I have control over the quality, it saves money and only takes a few minutes a day. It's also easier to source the seeds for sprouts I want to grow than buying already made in stores. Most stores don't carry a wide variety, depending on where you go of course. Stores like Whole Paycheck Foods will probably have more options that somewhere like Food Lion, that carries more mainstream consumables. Thanks for watching and sharing your thoughts on it.

Growing them at home is much safer. All you relay need is the initial peroxide treatment to the seeds to ensure no contamination, then let them grow and rinse every day, no fuss required.

Back