• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

YAMracer754 work in progress GLOG

Ok.... so I have been meaning to start this for quite some time but finally got things to a point where I feel I can have my grasp on most things pepper and have brought my peppers up, buying things as I go as funds dictate and the chiliboys+girls keep growing up. Not ideal approach, I know, but gotta start somewhere! If I were $$loaded it would be a little easier but $ doesn't replace research and knowledge!

I'm growing indoors until I can take them outside and will grow some in large containers, a few airpots, and the rest in raised beds. Probably flower a few inside to use my new Folux light (courtesy of PexPeppers!) Am thinking of switching to a more coco based medium as the peat seems to not allow so much airflow as I would like but open to suggestions. I'm currently in promix bx blended with fox farms Ocean forest, and upon up potting have added lots of perlite as in the beginning I was getting too much compaction and I was also having the overwatering problem(which I have now corrected).

I started some on 2/7 and some on 2/27 (from Seed) and here's where I am now and here's where I was before. I have upgraded light to 130w folux from a crappy Amazon ufo led {30w actual draw-was good for seedlings and about it}.

I really Need to know which Soil-Hydro frets to buy-bang for buck I'm looking for 1 or 2 at most products to 'K.I.S.S.' approach. So between some of these do you have any knowledge/experience: Masterblend, GH Maxigrow+maxibloom, CNS17, or any of the dynagro products? Or maybe something I haven't heard of? Currently have GrowBig fox farms for supplemental but not a very well balanced profile for growing peppers from what I gather (6-4-4), looking to cover P-K, calcium, and nominal amount of N. I have Epsom salt already if I detect Mg deficiency.

The first pics are from March 2, then March 9-12 transplanting, (notice the algae and growth problems) and here is where I'm at now. Almost thinking it's time to uppot again-they're in 3.5" and 4" nursery containers respectively, and have more seedlings growing in cell trays from Seed from Edmick.

What I'm growing: Hab red Caribbean, Hab chocolate, 1 tepin made it from Seed, bhut jolokia, 3 yellow Devils, a couple Habanero lemons still in tray, some different tomatoes, reapers, jalapeño temprana(early girl jpens), birds eye, different bell/sweet peppers. Few others failed to germinate so I won't list them, and I'm germing aleppos, bad brains, aji citizens, and aji mango. Looking forward to suggestions/questions/comments from all you fellow chileheads!
1520038511489.jpg
IMG_20180310_222231361.jpg
1520892249165.jpg
1520892296865.jpg
1521558102481.jpg
70d4f4faf4317cd3a1b9524ff8309939.jpg
cf078668b096728f00fc79999d3009fa.jpg

Regards,
-Tristan

Plants look great buddy. As far as nutrient goes, I really like dyna gro grow formula. I've heard it has more micronutrients than any other product on the market and it's very concentrated so even the smallest bottle will last you a very very long time and save you some money on nutrient costs. It's about $15 on amazon.

Edit: I've also heard good things about dyna gro foliage pro too. Pretty similar to the grow formula but it's higher on the N

Edmick said:
Plants look great buddy. As far as nutrient goes, I really like dyna gro grow formula. I've heard it has more micronutrients than any other product on the market and it's very concentrated so even the smallest bottle will last you a very very long time and save you some money on nutrient costs. It's about $15 on amazon.

Edit: I've also heard good things about dyna gro foliage pro too. Pretty similar to the grow formula but it's higher on the N
Thanks man appreciate the kind words! It's going.. Never seems fast enough but actually after lookin at the pics I took before, and just posted before they got much better and have that glossy glosses shine! Lol! Easy to be critical after seeing so many wild plants other people have on here.. I assume you did your homework on nutes as well on lookin at these products, and doing your research huh? I will look into it, definitely need the value-performance angle! Trying to keep the N modest in comparison to PK.

Regards,
-Tristan

YAMracer754 said:
Thanks man appreciate the kind words! It's going.. Never seems fast enough but actually after lookin at the pics I took before, and just posted before they got much better and have that glossy glosses shine! Lol! Easy to be critical after seeing so many wild plants other people have on here.. I assume you did your homework on nutes as well on lookin at these products, and doing your research huh? I will look into it, definitely need the value-performance angle! Trying to keep the N modest in comparison to PK.

Regards,
-Tristan
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good products out there but I've been using dyna-gro grow for years and everytime I try something else I usually end up going back to it. Once the plants are established I like to keep it organic but I've found out through my own experience and what others have experienced that when they're young they really seem to benefit from the extra boost of a fast acting chemical nutrient. One of my trays was showing signs of some sort of deficiency (not really sure what) but after a couple doses of dyna gro they're really starting to bounce back nicely. I did the math on it and at full strength, the small bottle of dyna gro is enough to make 384 gallons. I've been using it at 25 percent strength with great results so do the math on how long that would last. As far as cost goes that's pretty damn cheap.

yeah foliage pro is the best imo. can't get any better KISS nutrient.
prices from amazon (prime)

(starts .5 tsp / gal)
8 floz - $0.10 per gallon
32 floz - $0.05 per gallon

(production  2 tsp / gal)
8 floz - $0.38 per gallon
32 floz - $0.21 per gallon

I wanted to pick up a bottle on my last trip to the hydro store but they don't stock it so I ended up sticking with the grow. Coulda ordered online but I needed it quick. Someday I'll try it

Update on my GLOG: fixed and rearranged my grow area to better center the PAR of my light and added a cheap shower curtain I had laying around to keep the light from leaking and wasting all over the place-and set up the ratchet hanger so I can lower the light if need be. Used sharkskin rebar wire from Ironworker days to do a cheap curtain rod. Plan on getting this mylar reflective bubble wrap stuff my landlord has and sells at the flea market for free hopefully and will line the walls and curtain. It's a 4'x2.5'x7' area so should do well and I'm adding another folux 130w 4k board courtesy of PexPeppers soon as he gets them back in Stock.
de367d91d9318e1f3e5d7e3b4fa9f27c.jpg
8b7361650dd388ffb810a7deb2af6dc0.jpg

Regards,
-Tristan

Edmick said:
Yep those are buds
I'm trying to avoid having them flower indoors mainly so I can wait till I get them outside and stuff and I know it's such a shock to the plant to take it from a different light source and Harden them off and all that. Can I pull them off and continue vegetative growing? Would that be advantageous to my grow?

Regards,
-Tristan

YAMracer754 said:
I'm trying to avoid having them flower indoors mainly so I can wait till I get them outside and stuff and I know it's such a shock to the plant to take it from a different light source and Harden them off and all that. Can I pull them off and continue vegetative growing? Would that be advantageous to my grow?

Regards,
-Tristan
Thats an age old question. Many people say the plant will drop them if its not ready to produce pods. I on the other hand, like to pinch them off. I've had plants under 12 inches tall try to produce pods so I'm not convinced that they'll always drop them if they're not ready. Just my opinion though..

EDIT: I also have a very long growing season so I dont like letting my plants produce when they're so small. If you have a short growing season then sometimes you have no choice.

Edmick said:
Thats an age old question. Many people say the plant will drop them if its not ready to produce pods. I on the other hand, like to pinch them off. I've had plants under 12 inches tall try to produce pods so I'm not convinced that they'll always drop them if they're not ready. Just my opinion though..
Okay excellent that really answered my question. They're currently okay excellent I really answer is my question. They're currently approximately 6 in tall from the base of the soil then they're only in four and a half inch square deep Nursery pots and are ready for their next pot. Plus they have excess nitrogen as I've been using grow big 6-4-4 as that's what I have/had at the time.. so it'd be much better to wait till I get the bloom fert the bigger pot etc etc not to mention go outside!

Regards,
-Tristan

Any idea what this is in my pics? I'm guessing Calcium deficiency, and the grow big I have also don't have calcium... Hardcore downward curling on upper newer growth. Presented itself way earlier on with a little bit of twist on a few leaves and now all my jalapeños looking like this.. I have grow big at the moment by Fox Farms but not sure how far to go before my plants hate me for it. Still trying to decide and settle on an affordable and simple nute plan for Hydro and soil as I am going to uppot into coir for some of my container growing.

Still sorting out airflow as there is no air exchange in the are in the room, as well as the room, and the whole trailer for that matter...
Check this fan out-overkill? Overpriced?

https://www.amazon.c...nline fan&psc=1
b79d527f4e85a145d687b091d9afbebe.jpg
IMG_20180323_175024714.jpg

Regards,
-Tristan

Edmick said:
They look overwatered
Actually they were super super dry let them go very dry to see if I could encourage root growth in all the nooks and crannies I think maybe I went a little too far, so yesterday they got a thorough watering but they were looking like that before the watering. Looks like they did a little something something overnight-They look a bit better this morning - they do look better today-still some curly but nothing like yesterday, been using the nutes at 1/4 strength so 1/2tsp/gallon-also moved the light up as I noticed it was at ~14-16" from the canopy top (I can also dim the light too). Perhaps some form of moisture/heat stress?

P. S. These indeterminate tomato plants are very vigorous and easy to grow!

Regards,
-Tristan
c462d48c29ffbd8cc6aa1eed31b9e510.jpg
040c0be9ea4c9dbfcf76f4c65b34ca19.jpg
287890a54ff1388086619b90e8aef501.jpg

So... It's been a few days since last update and I've been freaking out that there are problems with stunting and moderate deficiencies-just got a cheap digital ppm and digital ph meter and calibrated it and came to some shocking conclusions.. Soil when dissolved in equal part h20 and sat for 15 mins the water measured over 700 ppm and ph of ~3! I'm thinkin lockout, no? Definitely have Cal deficiency with the leaf twisting etc...been using ro water with nothing in it because I thought my well water sucks (don't drink it will make me and cats sick) but rethinking as it's about 65-75 ppm. Definitely need to up the ph.

I also bought a giant brick of Fibre coco, and have a bunch of promix and perlite for my next uppot. Any ideas on how to prep this stuff? Calmag 200 ppm I read for a soak, and it is said to have majority of salts rinsed.
Need to pick up some containers and quick since I have to order them. I was thinkin 1 gallon for the next uppot for the 3.5" shallow guys, unless I should go bigger as my space is limited until going outside in 1.5mos where I can put them in larger containers...did some xtreme prunes on a few to get a little better light penetration as I have like 50 plants in a 3.5x2.5x7' area..
c942464fe3031bba12dcd5aec0b39327.jpg

Regards,
-Tristan

Edmick said:
A ph of 3?! With no ph adjustments? Thats crazy. Are you watering them with vinegar? Lol
Hahaha right?! Well, it's a ph water tester so not sure if that directly translates to being able to test soil with it, I took a tbsp of soil and a tbsp of ro water and shook the beje3zus out of it and let it sit for 25 minutes then filtered out the water (it was purplish color) then ph tested that water with the meter. To be fair they've never gotten an opportunity for a flush/runoff any waterings as I was concerned with overwatering while their roots grew out.. I added a bunch of perlite to ocean forest that was the mix but perlite supposed to be ph neutral... They've been hit with azamax once as a soil drench about a week or so ago, and had a bit of h202 in it as well at the same time.. Maybe that reacted with the fertilizer salts?! Idk. Definitely wishing there was dolomite lime in there right about now as I've done before with other soil mixes I've concocted along with bone meal and wood ash.

Doing the same test as we speak with the same soil mix just unused and in the bag to compare results. Personally I think this meter is on some bs China crap even though I calibrated it properly with the included buffer packets.. Grrrr actually I just checked it against the buffer solution and it's way off. So sick of buying this stuff off Amazon and so much of it is junk. Sending them back.
Edit:recalibrated again and all is well... For now with Chinese junk products that is. See how it goes in a few days

Regards,
-Tristan

Note: I did post this in Grow other because I wasn't sure where to get the help or post this. So.. This has been going on and off for a while, twisting leaves here and there on new growth, and my plants are signaling signs of multiple micro and macro deficiencies. Deformed new growths as well depending on plant.

Things to note: they are growing in Ocean forest + lots of perlite added, ocean forest which has a lot of organic matter and is relatively hot, and has lots of peat in it(acidic).
They have stunting/twisting on some/most of the newer growths as it has been growing, and some of the leaves have a chunk out of them or grew malformed (reapers).
Also see the picture of the brown crunchy hole-looks like manganese Deficiency to me (those holes are only on the reaper plant).
Mottling on some leaves, and light spots when I hold it up to light and look at leaves from backside. I have also had an issue with white saporophytic fungus since the moment I started using that soil no matter how much I let them dry out, have two fans blowing on them, etc. I've been watering them solely with ro water but will be adding calmag I just bought. There's also no lime in that soil too (wishing right about now I mixed some in!). The soil retains more moisture than I'd like and I've been keeping watering in check (let get real dry then hit em).

My thought is either some pest down below I cannot see, or ph being low, I have a tester that ph's water and nutes and stuff but not sure how that accurately can translate to testing the actual soil ph. I have GH flora series I have not used yet, but thought as hot as that soil is I shouldn't need it til after a month. Shows signs of calcium deficiency as well and mag, but wondering if that is because of ph lockout or a true deficiency. Have a few relatively newly potted in 3.5"'ers that are yellowing on the veinal areas while interveinal is still green, and on my bigger plants (the early jalapeños) just the opposite on a few leaves.. Some yellowing of lower leaves on a few as well (early jalapeños). Any help greatly appreciated as I'm losing my mind and getting really bummed at my wits end.

Super fearful I could have aphids as I had a fungus gnat issue in the beginning on my first set of seedlings and was overwatering + the fungus on the plants from the ocean forest was giving them a food source. They are mostly under control as I only see one flier every other day or so and kill it (hope those aren't winged aphids coming from the soil as they appear from nowhere, but so do the gnats-original soil was infested) but I know they can be easily confused for a winged aphid (I verified the gnats in the beginning by their size and their nasty larvae) but I've been doing some more reading and read that aphids can cause all kinds of odd deficiency looking symptoms looking like mg and Calcium deficiencies. I'll post this in my GLOG maybe I'll get some more views/help. Worried and bummed as I've put so much time/$ in this first pepper grow and don't wanna lose it all,or keep starting more plants and lose them too!

Regards,
-Tristan

eacca3f0625f8f403a62e14af3f56166.jpg
9f610c064f323c628b1b1b54b885b2fc.jpg
a467dfc537cf7a6646d1a069c6f741ff.jpg

Sometimes it is really hard to spot what is wrong with the plants and you want to pull your hairs out as a result.

Maybe the soil is retaining moisture for too long and the plants dont like it too much at all.

Back