Hello from Houston

Hello!  I've been a long time adventurous pepper eater but never really had contemplated growing my own until recently.  I live in a unique Spanish Revival home in Houston and I have been contemplating what to do with this oddball courtyard that is actually between the street and my front door.  I have a lot of low maintenance plants throughout my yard mixed with palms but wanted to kind of make this courtyard a little bit more personal.  I'm not a huge flower guy and it dawned on me that maybe I could use the space for some pepper growing.

A couple of days ago I bought a couple of these and some Miracle Gro potting mix on a whim, as I thought it might be a nice way to get some plants started.  Houston isn't always the most hospitable of climates for young plants.

I like a good hot pepper but I still like to enjoy some flavor so I'm not trying to grow Reapers out here.  I picked out the three following peppers as items with nice heat, but also flavorful and somewhat ornamental.

A. NuMex Twilight
B. Bod’e Peppers
C. Chiltepin

I've been reading a lot lately on all the ways Chiltepins have been used down here and am really interested in giving those a go so those are definitely in, as they are somewhat native.  I love to roast, salt and eat fresh peppers straight with a few various things like garlic and herbs so of course making hot sauce would be something I'd like to eventually get around to as well.  But first....the plants....

Any advice and suggestions on peppers would be great, as well as any good sources for seeds/or small plants.  I know my window for getting this going is getting smaller by the day.  Probably should have already had some things planted!

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have a good start. Shishito peppers are excellent for roasting too, kinda mild with a slight bite. Aji ( bactuum) varieties are fun to grow as well. You can check out the vendor review section for dealers.

Crispee-FL said:
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have a good start. Shishito peppers are excellent for roasting too, kinda mild with a slight bite. Aji ( bactuum) varieties are fun to grow as well. You can check out the vendor review section for dealers.

Thanks.  Looks like TexasHotPeppers is my guy.  I don't think finding small plants of these is very realistic right now.  Do you think it's too late to start from seed?

Welcome to THP.

Back