• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Are Bonnie Mucho Nacho a stable hybrid?

I grew them last year from Bonnie seedlings and saved some seeds. Even though its a fairly common Bonnie plant at Lowes/Homedepot i figured what the hell. I can always pickup a couple more seedlings if needed.

So has anyone grown them from pods you harvested and did they turn out hot or the same?

ShowMeDaSauce said:
So has anyone grown them from pods you harvested and did they turn out hot or the same?
Never grew them......

o.jpg

But assume F1 hybrid.> Mucho Nacho Hybrid Pepper ... Therefore seeds unstable...

`

The more I learn about commercial hybrids, the less interested I become about harvesting their seeds.

Don't get me wrong, a commercial hybrid plant will often be a robust and prolific plant. Many gardeners and commercial growers find this to be a compelling attribute. I have a few hybrids myself that I will be growing this year.

But the commercial seed producers don't really want you to harvest their seeds. They want you to come back and buy them again next year. If they can, they will try to make the harvested seeds unattractive in various manners.

Given the effort I put into harvesting seeds and growing them out in the following years, I don't want to waste too much time on seeds that are often designed to cause problems when you try to grow them out. There's such a wide variety of open-pollinated pepper varieties out there, why spend time on seeds that often aren't supposed to grow right.

I will be grabbing a couple seedlings from Lowes or Homedepot when they come in. Mucho Nacho is really up there on my list for jalapenos. Oddly all the big stores around here carry Bonnie plants and Burpee seeds BUT not one of them carries Biker Billy seeds which is pretty much Burpee only.

I tried growing out seeds saved from mucho Nacho's and they didn't even resemble peppers, they looked like a nightshade berry. Don't know how, but maybe mine did cross pollinate with a hairy nightshade plant from the overgrown weeds along the creek nearby.

Hafners said:
I tried growing out seeds saved from mucho Nacho's and they didn't even resemble peppers, they looked like a nightshade berry. Don't know how, but maybe mine did cross pollinate with a hairy nightshade plant from the overgrown weeds along the creek nearby.

As we haven't a clue what the parents are it doesn't surprise me, even with the weeds at the nearby creek....

Hafners said:
Now I'm tempted to go buy one just to save seeds

ShowMeDaSauce said:
. Oddly all the big stores around here carry Bonnie plants and Burpee seeds BUT not one of them carries Biker Billy seeds which is pretty much Burpee only.

Same problem. Burpee Seeds but no Burpee plants. Sucks. I've wanted to try for a while but the Burpee online order for plants is expensive.
I've seen some seed passed around that was "biker billy" and "billy biker" and the fruit is, well....not the same.

Just now I saw on Burpee website the 3 pack of plants for $17.99. Might do that as a one time only type deal.

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peppers/pepper-hot-biker-billy-hybrid-prod000802.html

Hafners said:
 Any photos of that plant by chance?  Sounds pretty interesting. A naturally occuring intergeneric hybrid would be like hitting the powerball.

Like i said i dont even need to buy seeds. I can get the seedlings locally. My main question is if anyone has tried it and how did they turn out.

By the time i buy 1 pack of seeds online and pay shipping im upto around $8 or more for 1 tiny pack of seeds. There are not many seeds i would be willing to buy at that price and certainly not a common jalapeno.

I have some F2 seeds I harvested from pods from store bought plants, but I haven't tried growing them yet. If I have any more germination failures this season, I may have some room in the garden so I will try and let you know in August.

I grew purchased Mucho Nacho plants last year as was very disappointed so I  didn't bother with saving any seeds or overwintering.  The fruit was sweet and the pods got woody real quick.  I'm trying Biker Billy's AGAIN along with Chipotle Jalapenos from Pepper Dave.

I might end up with 4 plants from pods i grew last year. Not sure yet. I put all the jalapeno seeds directly into jiffy trays with ProMix instead of paper towels. The Biker Billy are the only ones i must get 2 plants from.

Well, 3 of the 4 have come up. Not sure yet if i will wait for the last one to break the surface before putting the tray under the lights. I only planned for 2 in the garden and now its more of just an experiment since i will be going with Bonnie seedlings just to be safe.

One of my chichimeca just came up too but im not sure if i can get seedlings of those this year yet. I got that plant at a farmers market and im not sure if that vendor will be back again this year. He had awesome seedlings almost 2 ft tall last year for $5 each.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I will be grabbing a couple seedlings from Lowes or Homedepot when they come in. Mucho Nacho is really up there on my list for jalapenos. Oddly all the big stores around here carry Bonnie plants and Burpee seeds BUT not one of them carries Biker Billy seeds which is pretty much Burpee only.

EASTER418

I just used this coupon code for free shipping on Biker Billy plants from Burpee.

Just FYI in case anyone was still looking. I haven't seen the damn plants in a store all month long.

Back