• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Growing peppers indoors from start to finish

So I’m new to pepper growing but I was wondering if I can grow peppers indoors only or do I have to start them indoors and then take them outdoors because my current house limits me from growing outdoors as I live in a town home. I have bought a 24x24x48 greenhouse for indoors with a 600watt led light and also going to try miracle grow potting mix as I’ve seen good reviews on it. I’ll take any suggestions as I’m new to this and will greatly appreciate the feedback. Also I’m going to be trying to grow Carolina reaper red habaneros and some cayenne’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juanitos said:
most people take them outside because pepper plants get quite large and the sun is free and better than any light you can buy.
but is it possible to grow from start to finish inside with good results?

yes with a strong light. it is not worth it as far as $ is concerned. but if you are doing it for a fun hobby then its good.

miracle gro is ok.... but i would rather you get something with better drainage. like pro-mix HP

Yeh you can do that. But u need fairly decent lighting and good environmental control to do it well. Though you might also want to consider the cost verses gain. It will cost far more to produce ie cost of electricity, than you will get out of your harvest. I use a 315cmh in a 4x4x6.5 grow tent and can grow up to 9 large chinense type peppers plants that produce small/medium sized fruits. But it costs me way more to grow them, then the peppers are worth. I usually only do this in the winter months and only to grow out hybrids or do line work, increasing fillial generation. That's the only way I can justify the cost.

Dane said:
Yeh you can do that. But u need fairly decent lighting and good environmental control to do it well. Though you might also want to consider the cost verses gain. It will cost far more to produce ie cost of electricity, than you will get out of your harvest. I use a 315cmh in a 4x4x6.5 grow tent and can grow up to 9 large chinense type peppers plants that produce small/medium sized fruits. But it costs me way more to grow them, then the peppers are worth. I usually only do this in the winter months and only to grow out hybrids or do line work, increasing fillial generation. That's the only way I can justify the cost.
great to know I bought a 55$ eBay light that that’s mainly red/blue but now that I’m thinking of this I’m going to try to find some space outside to make this happen

Alot of times if you cant grow in the ground you can get away with a 3gal pot on a balcony or deck and get an ok yield with minimal effort. Just make sure it gets some light and stays watered.
Good luck, hope you can find some space for the hottness.

Dane said:
Alot of times if you cant grow in the ground you can get away with a 3gal pot on a balcony or deck and get an ok yield with minimal effort. Just make sure it gets some light and stays watered.
Good luck, hope you can find some space for the hottness.
i might have some space in a flower bed but I think the soil might suck and gets overwater when it rains because where it is it’s on a slant almost and water flows right to I have a feeling that this may become a problem right?

Matt47890 said:
i might have some space in a flower bed but I think the soil might suck and gets overwater when it rains because where it is its on a slant almost and water flows right to I have a feeling that this may become a problem right?

You could always put a plant in a bucket or pot near the flower bed if there's space and sun.

Sure waterlogged soil can be an issue. I would recommend some soil amendments that can increase drainage and oxygenation. As long as your soil isn't mostly clay you can add sand and perlite to help fix it.

Matt47890 said:
great to know I bought a 55$ eBay light that that’s mainly red/blue but now that I’m thinking of this I’m going to try to find some space outside to make this happen

Still will be good for vegging them indoors before you get em out and the weather is working for you. Gives you time to get a plan together to for outdoor :) not to mention its all fun!! Good luck!

Regards,
-Tristan

YAMracer754 said:
Still will be good for vegging them indoors before you get em out and the weather is working for you. Gives you time to get a plan together to for outdoor :) not to mention its all fun!! Good luck!

Regards,
-Tristan
I’ve added a few more to what I’m growing outdoors chocolate bhoutlah apocalypse scorpion and bhula bubblegum 7 pot

Matt47890 said:
I’ve added a few more to what I’m growing outdoors chocolate bhoutlah apocalypse scorpion and bhula bubblegum 7 pot

Where do you live? Will you be putting them outside? Must live somewhere nice to start germing now and still be putting those outside this late!

Regards,
-Tristan

YAMracer754 said:
Where do you live? Will you be putting them outside? Must live somewhere nice to start germing now and still be putting those outside this late!

Regards,
-Tristan
im starting them inside now I live in Indiana it’s still pretty cold here

Matt47890 said:
im starting them inside now I live in Indiana it’s still pretty cold here

I lived in DeKalb IL for my whole life (60mi west of Chicago) so I know how it can be climate wise up there! Cold! But yeah are You gonna be fruiting them indoors? I would think it'd be tough to finish them outdoors if they're not already young adolescents/late seedlings.. For c. Chineses that is..

Regards,
-Tristan

Back