• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Jams, Jellies and Marmalades Thread

Noticed their are allot of posts in this area so maybe but them in one spot.

JAM              - Jam is always made from the whole or cut fruits, cooked to a pulp with sugar, producing a thick, fruity, spread.
Jelly             - Jelly is made using only the juice of the fruit and sugar.
Marmalade - Marmalade is similar to jam but made only from bitter Seville oranges from Spain or Portugal.

Made Some Orange Jam, Manderins I think, Forgot to look at the lable, their a bit elongated at the area of the stem.
5 Oranges, 4 pealed, all blitzed as is with a pinch of whole cloves and 270gr Dates.
Peels chopped up and dried Cayennes crushed, removed seeds. (stems removed :) )
Whole boiled for 5min then simmered on low for a couple hours. (Forgot to add salt) taste real good otherwise, a hint of sweetness, the oranges were not sweet, tasted good though.

p39kuVc.jpg

ZkDnkV5.jpg

This thread was so intersteing  -  and I was so hungry  -   I opened a jar of my Hot Pepper Lime Jam, and spread some on  slice of whole grain toast  -  which proved to be sooooo good!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Brandon,  I finally have a coconut in the kitchen waiting for me to employ your process for dried coconut.

cone9 said:
Brandon,  I finally have a coconut in the kitchen waiting for me to employ your process for dried coconut.

nice! i've actually been making coconut jerky again recently. Trader joes now sells bags of frozen coconut chunks. i wish the chunks were bigger so i could put it through the julienne but it still tastes good as thicker chunks. let me know how it turns out!

Here's a few of my favorites

IMG_6420.JPG

Orange Pepper Jam (pic on left)

-5 cups chopped oranges (juice reserved)
-1 additional cup of OJ (added 1/4 cup at a time while simmering to soften the fruit- I cooked it down for about an hour)
-1 or 2 yellow superhots
-2 teaspoons lemon juice
-4 cups granulated white sugar
-4 TBSP powdered pectin

Mixed Berry Pepper Jam (pic on right)

-2/3 lb fresh blackberries
-2/3 lb fresh raspberries
-2/3 lb fresh strawberries
(^ any ratio you'd like, really; 2lbs total berries ;) )
-4 to 5 cups granulated sugar
-1 or 2 red superhots
-1-2 TBSP lemon juice
-4 TBSP powdered pectin

Strawberry Pepper Jam (not pictured)

-2lbs fresh strawberries
-1 or 2 red superhots
-1-2 TBSP lemon juice
-4 TBSP powdered pectin

^This recipe is ALWAYS a hit! For a Chocolate version, mix 1/4 cup of cocoa powder into the sugar before adding to the pot

MikeUSMC said:
Here's a few of my favorites

attachicon.gif
IMG_6420.JPG

Orange Pepper Jam (pic on left)

-5 cups chopped oranges (juice reserved)
-1 additional cup of OJ (added 1/4 cup at a time while simmering to soften the fruit- I cooked it down for about an hour)
-1 or 2 yellow superhots
-2 teaspoons lemon juice
-4 cups granulated white sugar
-4 TBSP powdered pectin

Mixed Berry Pepper Jam (pic on right)

-2/3 lb fresh blackberries
-2/3 lb fresh raspberries
-2/3 lb fresh strawberries
(^ any ratio you'd like, really; 2lbs total berries ;) )
-1 or 2 red superhots
-1-2 TBSP lemon juice
-4 TBSP powdered pectin

Strawberry Pepper Jam (not pictured)

-2lbs fresh strawberries
-1 or 2 red superhots
-1-2 TBSP lemon juice
-4 TBSP powdered pectin

^This recipe is ALWAYS a hit! For a Chocolate version, mix 1/4 cup of cocoa powder into the sugar before adding to the pot

MikeUSMC: what would your guess be for substituting extra hots for super hots? i.e., habaneros.

nice.chili said:
MikeUSMC: what would your guess be for substituting extra hots for super hots? i.e., habaneros.
I'd say you're "probably" safe using 3 or 4 habaneros. Then again, I'm pulling that number out of thin air ;)

Berry based jellies and jams are pretty forgiving, since berries (on their own) are pretty acidic. One superhot is definitely safe to use since it won't raise the pH to a dangerous level. I'd just be cautious, adding too much non-acidic (alkaline) "mass" to the batch. 3 or 4 habs? You're "probably" safe. Please know that that's just a complete guess on my part though. Most important thing is to keep an eye on your pH level; jams/jellies should have a MAXIMUM pH level of 4.6, I believe.

There's a fairly comprehensive list of the pH levels of different fruits and vegetables in this link:

http://www.pickyourown.org/ph_of_fruits_and_vegetables_list.htm

Hope this helps!
:cheers:

MikeUSMC said:
I'd say you're "probably" safe using 3 or 4 habaneros. Then again, I'm pulling that number out of thin air ;)

Berry based jellies and jams are pretty forgiving, since berries (on their own) are pretty acidic. One superhot is definitely safe to use since it won't raise the pH to a dangerous level. I'd just be cautious, adding too much non-acidic (alkaline) "mass" to the batch. 3 or 4 habs? You're "probably" safe. Please know that that's just a complete guess on my part though. Most important thing is to keep an eye on your pH level; jams/jellies should have a MAXIMUM pH level of 4.6, I believe.

There's a fairly comprehensive list of the pH levels of different fruits and vegetables in this link:

http://www.pickyourown.org/ph_of_fruits_and_vegetables_list.htm

Hope this helps!
:cheers:

Thanks MikeUSMC! It all makes sense and I'll have my pH meter ready for after the maceration stage of the jam - maybe I'll be able to take a good reading. Otherwise I'll have to "sacrifice" a jar post cooking (with some toast and cream cheese or similar...  ;) ).
This time around I'm looking to make a test batch - first time making jam. 

It also just now clicked why there's quite some vinegar / lemon juice in the recipe at: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/jellies/habanero-pepper-jam/, with 0.5 lb of peppers.

dragonsfire said:
Did a Rhubarb Jam/Sauce yesterday.
Didnt become solid but a thick consistency, honey tends to do that keeping things fluid. Nice flavor, light heat, let it age a bit, well at least till tomorrows pancakes :D

Nice dragonsfire - rhubarb is highly underrated.

Et voila, the result:

jam_redhab_01.jpg

Recipe was:
  • 500 g  Strawberries
  • 250 g  Blackberries
  • 250 g  Raspberries
  • 800 g  Jam sugar (pectin @ 1.3%)
  • 4  Habaneros
  • 3 tbsp  Lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp  Kirsch
  • 1 knob  Butter
Last two ingredients were added added at the end of cooking. Enough for 4x 325 mL jars.

The taste test will have to wait until tomorrow, but of course there was a little on a spoon here and there and it tasted pretty good...

Back