• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Top of fermentation turning dark

Hey all,

This is likely covered elsewhere, but I didn't find it addressed after a quick search.

So I have a few fermentations going, and I just put together a dozen more airlocks to start more. I've noticed the top inch or so of the mash starts turning a darker color, sometimes to the point of appearing grey. There is no mold or anything that would be an obvious issue, but the discoloration seems odd.

Is that normal, or cause for concern? There is no brine covering the top, it's just a mash, and I've been adding salt at about 3% of the total material weight. I've had a jar or two smell "different", but not necessarily bad, and they get pitched. Any idea why the top darkens and should I be doing something different to address it?

HS

Howiest said:

That was my thought also, but my understanding was the airlocks allow for the air/oxygen to be pushed out as it's replaced by the heavier carbon dioxide.

That will happen as long as your mash is fermenting vigorously. If it was slow to get started, there might have been some regular air that stayed in the headspace and oxidized the top layer before it was driven off.
     Keep an eye on it. If it gets worse or your mash doesn't get going, you may have to do something. Otherwise, just scrape it off and discard it when it comes time to process.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

That will happen as long as your mash is fermenting vigorously. If it was slow to get started, there might have been some regular air that stayed in the headspace and oxidized the top layer before it was driven off.
     Keep an eye on it. If it gets worse or your mash doesn't get going, you may have to do something. Otherwise, just scrape it off and discard it when it comes time to process.

Thanks for the help, and I'm pretty sure you nailed it. I've been starting them over the Winter, and it's low to mid 60s in the house. I was putting the jars in a cardboard box with a heating pad in it for a while, but gave up on that when I realized the heating pad would shut off after 2 hours! I got lazy and now I just leave them on the counter so they are a bit slow in getting going.

Attachments

• Mash.jpg
    Mash.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Mash2.jpg
    Mash2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 167
Last thing i want to do is piss in your cheerios but personally I'd toss those. They look a bit beyond discoloration in my ignorant opinion. Maybe it's the angle of the pic?

By comparison, here's one of mine that is oxidized...but it's also close to 3 years old

Pfpme0y.jpg

My mash turns slightly dark at the top during the month long+ fermentation i put it thru.  I stir them and them are fine.  

These 1+ liter jars were filled TOO much as you can see here and overnight from when the photo was taken, kinda overflowed into the tray, so leave plenty of headspace.  These are smoked thai chilies with smoked garlic and shallots all used in the making of the mash.  There is no liquid covering the top of the mash so a darkening would be expected from drying out or whatever.  I do not close the lids although I could do so I suppose without the rubber gasket allowing the gasses to escape.

I live in Thailand so it's ALWAYS hot here.  These bottles have sat in the 90°+ temps for over a month (except when we turn on the AC in the kitchen) as you see them with the paper towels over the tops with only salt added to get the fermentation going.  
I stirred the mash nearly everyday and never got ANY mold and today I am adding the vinegar to make sauce and blend it further to break down the seeds etc.  
2 kilos of chilies has given me a total of 2200 mls of mash without the vinegar.  From my calculations, I'll be adding over 4 cups of white wine vinegar to this mash today.  Gonna be fun! ;)
fermenting_IMG_2599.jpg

Back