• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Caviar Anyone ?

My brother caught this fish that just happened to have 8lbs of eggs. So at $70 an ounce for California White Sturgeon we decided to look for a recipe to cure it at have homemade caviar. It turned out amazing and we have gorged ourselves all week on caviar like gluttons. Here are a few pics .

Attachments

• DE71AA97-2FBE-47B7-9B3E-671CD3AA13F4.jpeg
    DE71AA97-2FBE-47B7-9B3E-671CD3AA13F4.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 95A79D44-3336-402E-9844-241BD3191E39.jpeg
    95A79D44-3336-402E-9844-241BD3191E39.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 92
  • D2F2C168-6C5A-4A12-94DA-852BDFA48D60.jpeg
    D2F2C168-6C5A-4A12-94DA-852BDFA48D60.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 93
What does Caviar taste like? I never been a fan of anything that comes from the water unless it comes from long john silvers lol. Cheers!

Only once long ago and it was very salty and fishy, not appealing for me. We got Sturgeons in our river here but their illegal to catch (Well Keep).

It was very good as I gave some to a good friend of mine who buys some every year for a special occasion at his house and he said mine was better than what he buys. It was very smooth, creamy almost melting in your mouth texture and with a slight fish flavor but not overpowering like I had expected. We actually liked it better than the fish itself and we really like the taste of sturgeon. But I'm the kind of guy who like almost every kind of sushi and sashimi. 

I have never done surgeon eggs but every yr I do about a dozen skeins from smaller pea sized salmon eggs. YUM!!

I prefer a couple variations with soy sauce at the 3nd for a finish or a tequila recipe I stumbled onto some years back.

Yours look excellent.

In Alaska Chum salmon make the best ikura.

Chum aka onchorhyncus keta aka dog salmon.

2nd largest of the pacific salmonoids.

The meat is subpar vs. other salmon.

Only good for smoking or freezing for dog food.

The roe/eggs.

Thats a whole 'nother world.

Strip the skeins of the eggs with a spoon to separate them.

While doing that cover a potato in cold water in a bowl to accommodate the eggs.

Pour in salt and stir until the potato floats.

Remove the potato and toss in the eggs for no more than 20 minutes.

Drain and use pronto or store in the fridge.

What makes this so good?

When done right proper the eggs pop when you eat them.

Mixed with scrambled eggs and eaten on a buttered and toasted muffin on a sunday morning is magnifique!

Also pretty got dang goodern' hell mixed with mayo and capers as a spread.

For a for true Alaskan experience spread it on Sailor Boy Pilot Bread.

And wash it down with an Alaskan Amber.

Get it.

Got it?

Good!

Mixed with scrambled eggs and eaten on a buttered and toasted muffin on a sunday morning is magnifique!

Thats is good and they are good in fried rice too. I dont really get into caviar though other than some types of sushi. We cant harvest sturgeon here either but every year there is a 6 week long spoonbill season. Sale of spoonbill eggs is forbidden. 1 fish can yield upto around $4000 worth of eggs. Even transporting the eggs can get you into a tricky situation.

Back