• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake where to find habanero powder

I'm having a hard time locating a good 100% habanero powder.I would like a straight habanero powder(not a blend). Any sites or retailers in Canada supplying this?I think melindas used to sell one.

habahead said:
I'm having a hard time locating a good 100% habanero powder.I would like a straight habanero powder(not a blend). Any sites or retailers in Canada supplying this?I think melindas used to sell one.

Hey habhead let me know how much you would ideally like and ill make you some up...just about to seed my dry habs.

All the best, Dave

habahead said:

you send me some mushrooms and I send you hab powder.

;)

pscilly mushrooms???????

Agreed, grow some, dry them, grind them. It takes a little while to pay off, but then you are set for life.

thanks for the all the info. i went out and bought a dehydrator and will dry some habaneros and make my own powder now. any tips out there. cut peppers in half first? how long to dry-til really crispy so it will grind finer? is a coffee grinder a good way to make the powder?
scorpion-thanks for the offer-liked your website too!

It'll probably take about 18-24 hrs depending on the temperature. You'll know you're done when they are crispy and you can break them in two. Yes. cut them in half, this will speed up the process remarkably. A lot of members here use a coffee grinder to make powder, but you'll want to get an extra grinder for the powder unless you like your coffee with an extra kick! :) I am using my Magic Bullet and most other food blenders would probably do the job, too but they won't make powder as fine as a coffee grinder will.

habahead said:
thanks for the all the info. i went out and bought a dehydrator and will dry some habaneros and make my own powder now. any tips out there. cut peppers in half first? how long to dry-til really crispy so it will grind finer? is a coffee grinder a good way to make the powder?
scorpion-thanks for the offer-liked your website too!

Great! You always know what's inside your own powder. Dehydrating is faster with cut open pods. For maximum heat it's best with placenta and seeds (except you need the seeds for the next generation :)). A coffee grinder isn't too bad but most of them are for small volumes only. A blender like the Magic Bullet is better. Some guys here like the coffee grinder for transforming powder to fine powder. And take care to clean it well if you want to use with other food too.

I really prefer my basic coffee grinder over my magic bullet for powders. I usually start with the bulk peppers in my cuisinart and then into the coffee grinder for fine powder

my "mr. coffee" grinder makes good fine powder in very short time, but theres so many edges to the machine that it makes cleaning powder off it NOT a simple task (but a basting brush helps)

Back