• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Smoked hot paprika

so many great peppers come to mind!

Serranos RIPE( of course),poblano/ancho, Hatch(or any variation of, really its a matter of preference and "authenticity") tepin, and pequin while both small and time consuming take well to smoking before drying as well, pasilla, guajillo, puya, chile de Arbol, chile de Onza(and de Onza amarillo)

so many more, i'm sure others will add to the list

:cheers:  

willard3 said:
Smoked chiles are not the same as chipotle. 

Please read the original post more carefully.
Captaincicum said:
I had great success last year smoking jalapeno peppers using dozy/punky maple To make chipotle .....
So, to review... Captaincicum has already tackled the task of smoking Jalapeños to make Chipotles.  (The use of maple might be a departure from the more traditional pecan or applewood, but thank goodness this world is not as limited and narrow as one THP member´s preferences.)  Th next project Captaincicum wishes to tackle is hot smoked parika, and s/he is seeking suggestions as to what varieties might be a good and accessible choice to grow.

Iḿ following this thread, as I am curious, too.

Mmmm, applewood .. I used punky maple as I had a lot of it , and it smoulders so well, I had been using red oak ... same reason .... pecan is a bit thin on the ground in the Ottawa Valley ... but I have been cutting down some apple trees so I will put some aside . I have been mostly growing Thai and habanero peppers but I found they were pretty powerful smoked and dried . Using more/ weaker chipotle type powder gave me more flavour , both of pepper and of smoke. I dried some Fresno peppers ( flaming flare) last year and ground them for straight hot paprika ,I liked the colour , but found it a bit light on heat and flavour , hence my query for other peppers.
Great suggestions so far .
Tim

I have smoked Fresno chilis with great success, but used them in a sauce.  I recently smoked some orange Habaneros, dried them, and made a powder, which is KILLER. Love the smoked taste. 

Back