• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Asian Hot Peppers - what to do?

they're great in stir-frys or dehydrated but they're usually pretty thin walled and seedy so I'm not sure if people use them in sauce all that often. I dunno though. One of the ways we use them in stir-fry is toss them in hot oil to infuse them first then cook in the oil. The fumes can get a little nasty doing that though so be prepared.

The Hot Pepper said:

The Hot Pepper said:
You guys see a pic?
ChVfEnS.jpg
what's the matta Mr Magoo can't you see it ?  

:rofl:

You can make a Thai stir fry or fried rice with these suckers, slice them lengthwise like a julienne, I don't like the fresh bite to them I like them more roasted tasting, so you can add them to the wok first on high heat with only enough oil to coat the wok and it gives them a nice toasting, then add your garlic and a little more oil, and stir this up on high, then add fresh ginger, and all your other stuff... aromatic and toasty.

The Hot Pepper said:
add them to the wok first on high heat with only enough oil to coat the wok and it gives them a nice toasting, then add your garlic and a little more oil, and stir this up on high
+1. This is exactly how we do it. Turn the vent on though.. My wife has pepper sprayed the house a couple times with this method. Lol

You could also make some roasted garlic chili paste
Roast 8 oz. of Thai peppers (or a mix with Fresnos, I do a 50/50 mix) in the oven with a head of garlic in sesame oil. Transfer to a food processor, add a bit of palm sugar or brown sugar, 1 tbs of fish sauce, 1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar, and a pinch or two of salt, pulse to a chunky consistency. Transfer to a jar. Let it sit for a day or two before using. Usually lasts for a month or more.
I use that in all kinds of dishes that need a punch of heat.

Crispee-FL said:
You could also make some roasted garlic chili paste
Roast 8 oz. of Thai peppers (or a mix with Fresnos, I do a 50/50 mix) in the oven with a head of garlic in sesame oil. Transfer to a food processor, add a bit of palm sugar or brown sugar, 1 tbs of fish sauce, 1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar, and a pinch or two of salt, pulse to a chunky consistency. Transfer to a jar. Let it sit for a day or two before using. Usually lasts for a month or more.
I use that in all kinds of dishes that need a punch of heat.

Sounds like a plan. And I guess it's not a pepper to make a sauce from, but a cooking ingredient.

Thank you!

Take a look at my recent posts which illustrate how to use them.   :)

Sri Racha in the US is made from jalapeños.  

The original Thai version is made with "prik chee fah".  http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/cp_thaiz.html

My sauce using the Thai chilies you mention is many times hotter than either version.   :)
IIRC, prik chee fah is a thin walled chili as well.  It could be used to tone down the heat when using the Thai chilies that I use here. Sourcing them might be difficult if you're not in TH.

Here's a pic of the chilies I use after trimming and washing 4 kilos of them.  

Many more photos and descriptions in my posts.

IMG_2891_1.jpg

Back