• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

what is this crystal stuff?????

34efeag.jpg

see above.  just noticed this while watering my seedlings.  (taken with a USB microscope FYI)  they looked like aphids at first so i was pinching them until i got a closer look,  almost looks like rock candy to a degree.  just on my maules red hots.  

potting soil i used was a mix of black gold potting soil + black gold seedling mix + worm castings i had made over the winter.  not in any particular concentration either.  

Arthropods said:
What temp/wavelength of lights are you using? I just found this link and am wondering if people have experiences that match this. It says that blue, green, and UV light are supposed to help keep edema from happening. It says fluorescent are generally good at this because it has some of each.

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/does_light_quality_impact_the_development_of_edema

not sure the temp, i have it in the basement and i only water them about once a week or so.  

i'm using 3 1x1 ft square LED lights   with blue and red specturm lights.  one of them has UV and IR as well.  

i did have them under CFL and they were just fine so maybe the heat output is generating more humidity than wanted.  i took my cover off to let it breathe.  

I water as little as possible (wait till some plants will then water everything) and I don't see how it could be that humid and some plants still have it. I'm pretty sure we will make it to dirt day and everything will be fine.

If not here's something related to this thread that will help lol.

KIMG1473.JPG

You're correct bhuter.

Keeping the area more dry in terms of humidity and I'm seeing new leaf growth. Might be stragglers but only time will tell :)

Back