• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedling fert overdose?

Hi all,

I'm new to seed starting, in the past I've only grown from nurseries, and I've only been doing that for a couple of years. I've read WAAY too much online compared to how much experience I have growing peppers.

I posted some earlier pictures in my grow log and wrote about this there, but I figured this would be a better place to ask for input. I am having some problems with darkening at edges and tips of cotyledons and recently true leaves (on my MoAs)

I started seeds on 4/22, they mostly germinated around 6-10 days, and this is the current state of some of my seedlings.

Chihuacle Negro seem to somewhat appreciate the conditions, they're growing almost as quickly as my tomatillos which germinated in 2 days(!)

IMG_0344.JPG

However, MoAs are doing worse. Although there growth speed is decent, they don't look healthy.

IMG_0347.JPG

I got these straight from Juanitos so I know that this is not their expected phenotype.

From reading TrentL's glog and other sites, I developed my theory that this is nutrient overdose. I'd accidentally fed twice with pHed nutrient solution at roughly 220PPM Nitrogen instead of the 25ishPPM I've recently read I should be giving seedlings this young. I'm guessing that the high PPMs of N, P and K have caused nutrient toxicity, lockout of micros, "nute burn" or a combination. I've already flushed moderately and am watering with pHed water only for the next couple of weeks.

Does this seem like a good diagnosis and plan? Has anyone seen anything like this before? If anyone has any tips or suggestions they'd be welcome.

Tom

Whoops, forgot that. They're in mostly vermiculite, with some perlite and old garden soil. It doesn't drain the best, but I've only been watering every 4-5 days and only when the soil is noticeably lighter in weight. 

Lol wow I thought I had everything covered in that post. 3/22 was the date on those—if I could time travel I would start them right now, in late February haha

Only other info I could think of for you to add is what light your using and how close they are to it. I always lean towards not enough nutes so I'm not sure what overload looks like. I'm just a noob too though so please don't listen to me

No lottery numbers, I was focusing on my seeds.

I'm using 4 T5 bulbs, about 6-8" above the seedlings with a fan blowing to keep temps reasonable. 

If you're a noob I don't even know what I am. I'm happy to listen to any info. Thanks for looking!

Tom

I'm using 2 parts Jack's Classic Citrus Feed (20-10-20) and 1 part calcium nitrate (15.5-0-0), shooting to make something with a 3-1-2 ratio plus all the micros from the Jack's. I gave this at 1/2 tsp per gallon, thinking that this was low... for seedlings it probably shoulda been muuuch lower.

My water analysis might be helpful here too. It's at very high pH so I'm countering with 1 tsp vinegar per gallon.

img_water.JPG

Well if you know you overdosed on nutes I would venture to say that has something to do with it. Maybe everything to do with it. So yea, backing off on the nutes would be a good idea. I have a couple thousand plants going right now in many different stages of growth and those little guys don't need much. Some of my plants get 25 percent strength, some 50 and some full strength. Just gotta read the plants. Become one with the plants Tom.. A kindred connection between man and plant Tom.. Kindred.. Tom

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I definitely should try adding nutes and then vinegar and pHing afterwards. The N in both of my sources comes from nitrates, and I think these generally raise pH, so I might have had problems with high pH as well.

A couple thousand plants yiiiikes!

I think you're right, my person-plant communication is a little weak.

Okay, I'll follow my plan and update on here when I know how things are looking. I'll also tell you all how the Plant-Tom connection is going—if I start shooting out roots or buds you'll be the first to know. 

Thank you for the advice!

Do not use vinegar for ph.

Way to young for any kind of lockout....salts need to build up and it takes awhile.

Nute burn will show at the tips first....tiny yellowing at the very tips.

Seedlings that small need nothing more than water.

You could use a liquid fish fert or similar product once every 2 weeks. Water in between and make sure they are drying out before each watering.

Over watering is 90% of most beginner's issues.

Way to early to be managing npk,

Thanks for the advice Masher, you're right about the NPK. I just get too into messing with the plants. 

And about the vinegar, the only reason I've found for not using it is that in hydroponic systems it can cause growth of the bacteria that produce the acetic acid in vinegar.

delorean.jpg

Back