• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hawaiian Style Plate Lunch

Kakele Plate.jpg

One of my favorites called the Kakele plate Lunch. The name, when referring to food basically means a mixture or combination of foods covered in gravy.
I can't make it at home anymore without the never-ending lecture about cholesterol and blood pressure so I got this version from a joint called L&L's Drive In. I think they have a place in Colorado and/or Arizona but not sure about that.

Like any plate lunch you first start with a bed of white rice and a scoop of macaroni (or potato) salad on the side.
Then you build it like so...
2 hamburger patties on the rice.
A generous helping of shredded roast pork that has gone back on the griddle to crispy up some.
A couple scoops of gravy made from the roast pork drippings
2 eggs over-easy on top of that so the yolk can drain right into the gravy and roast pork
Add to that some Chicken Katsu (Teriyaki Chicken works good here too) and you have the 4 basic food groups: Beef, Pork, Chicken,Rice.

From there I added my own attempt at making sriracha using Red Naga Brains, Chocolate Habs, and yellow Fatalii's.
Minced them all up with a good amount of garlic cloves and Hawaiian Salt, and fermented for almost 3 months before cooking down.
I actually liked the fermented mash before cooking it down better so next time no cooking. It holds up just fine in the fridge.

Sorry, Manapua and Musubi gotta wait for another meal.

Hawaiianero said:
attachicon.gif
Kakele Plate.jpg

One of my favorites called the Kakele plate Lunch. The name, when referring to food basically means a mixture or combination of foods covered in gravy.
I can't make it at home anymore without the never-ending lecture about cholesterol and blood pressure so I got this version from a joint called L&L's Drive In. I think they have a place in Colorado and/or Arizona but not sure about that.

Like any plate lunch you first start with a bed of white rice and a scoop of macaroni (or potato) salad on the side.
Then you build it like so...
2 hamburger patties on the rice.
A generous helping of shredded roast pork that has gone back on the griddle to crispy up some.
A couple scoops of gravy made from the roast pork drippings
2 eggs over-easy on top of that so the yolk can drain right into the gravy and roast pork
Add to that some Chicken Katsu (Teriyaki Chicken works good here too) and you have the 4 basic food groups: Beef, Pork, Chicken,Rice.

From there I added my own attempt at making sriracha using Red Naga Brains, Chocolate Habs, and yellow Fatalii's.
Minced them all up with a good amount of garlic cloves and Hawaiian Salt, and fermented for almost 3 months before cooking down.
I actually liked the fermented mash before cooking it down better so next time no cooking. It holds up just fine in the fridge.

Sorry, Manapua and Musubi gotta wait for another meal.
I was reading that like
Dayum GIF-source.gif

texas blues said:
To be honest.

I didn't make a plate lunch.

Which is the thread title.

I should probably delete and start a new thread in the cooking forum.

Or perhaps THP will move this thread to that forum.

My apologies Hawaiianero.

Eh, fish and rice on the same plate......She Go.....call it a mini plate and go back for seconds

Negative.

I can't get kinga lingus in Texas.

And I have never liked sockeye/reds.

They're plankton eaters.

Pretty much...

The vegetarians of the salmon world.

Too lean and so so on the grill.

Only good for baking when fresh.

Most Alaskans smoke and/or can them right away.

texas blues said:
Andy is funny as hell!

I saw him when this aired on cable the first time.

And Pat Morita is killin' with that joke!

Ahhh I'm rolling in tears right now.....this vid brings back so much memories....good times
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Back