• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My plants flowering but, when is it "too early"?

At what point is it too early for plants to flower? I am in Houston and my plants are slowly flowering. They are about a foot tall if not more now and I read some people rip off flowers.

is your plant in its final container / in ground?

if yes then you can just let it bud, the plant for whatever reason thinks it's ready.

if not it's flowering because it's rootbound and you should transplant it soon (and remove the buds) so the plant will focus on growing into its new home

---

note also that just because a plant flowers does not mean it will actually set the fruit. 

i have some flowering too but I have way too many plants to even think about cutting them off so I'm just gonna let it ride. I know some people like to top their plants to stop them from flowering but ive never done it for that purpose and your plant might be too big at this point anyways to do that

Houston is fairly hot, and being from Austin I know what the weather is like. I wouldn't be worried about it. The plants are probably just excited. If the plants are tall and to your liking I wouldn't pay it any mind. You could probably plant again, and still produce more peppers.

Just be careful when the weather gets super hot, and it's not raining as much.

Back