• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

This Scorpion plant must be an introvert.

I've got several plants growing this year.  All of them are doing great, thanks in part to the excellent advice I've gotten here at THP.

All of my window space has been exhausted, so I have a few less interesting peppers (mostly habaneros) growing under a couple of LED panels on my kitchen counter until I can free up some room. The lights are fairly inexpensive but all of the plants are bushy and happy hanging out under them. All, that is, except this one little Maruga Scorpion who seems a bit closed off to the world. It's looked like it was marching to the beat of its own drummer since it sprouted on February 2nd. 

1cisnNv.jpg

Here it is next to a habanero friend that sprouted February 20th and has been hanging out under the same lights. 

Ziz39v4.jpg

I've never treated him or fed him any differently than my other plants, but he just seems unhappy. Anybody have any input on what might be troubling this little guy? I have enough healthy plants for the year, but I just don't want to give up on him.

LkZkklN.jpg

Probably, Edmick. I started feeding them all (a bit too frequently due to my inexperience... ooops) with flora series nutrients after their third set of true leaves. 

I think it's interesting that out of 30 or so plants, this little dude was the one who had a serious reaction to it. 

I've since gone to giving him only water at feedings. We'll see if it corrects the issue.

You live in LA, can't you put the plants outside in sizable containers?
We're due for another 3-5" of snow here and then I think spring might show up.

JesseS said:
I've since gone to giving him only water at feedings. We'll see if it corrects the issue.

That should fix it for new leaves. The old leaves will retain their warped appearance, but should be fine. 

Seems kind of odd to be talking about new and old leaves for such a young plant, but you know what I mean.  :think:

Believe me, Malarky, I'm doing my best.  ;)  I've got 10 in 5 gallon containers but that's all I can fit at my place. I've managed to give a few to some guys I know who want to grow some hot stuff, but I've now become desperate. For example, this conversation happened on set yesterday with my Best Boy during lunch.

Me: Hey, man. You've still got that big yard right?

Best Boy: Yeah. Yeah. We hardly ever use the damn thing, you know?

Me: I hear ya. Busy all the time.

Best boy: Yup.

*** Pause****

Me: You like spicy food, right?

Best Boy: No.

Me: What? I could have sworn you mentioned you like hot stuff.

Best Boy: No. No. Hate hot stuff, actually. Why?

Me: Well, I'm growing these peppers.

Best Boy: Oh, yeah! I saw you posting about that on facebook. Why would anyone want to grow something like that?

Me: Listen. You have that big yard. I'd love it if I could put a couple of plants out there. You'd hardly even notice they were there.

Best Boy: Well, its kind of overgrown... Plus, like I'd have to talk to the room mates, you know...

Me: You like working on this show?

Best Boy: Yeah. Of course...

*****Pause****

Best Boy: Wait, you're not saying you'd like, replace me if I don't take those plants, right?

Me: ......

Best Boy: I can take a couple.

Agriculture exposes my dark side, I guess.  :P

As for the snow, I understand. I'm seeing family members near buffalo posting pictures that look like they were taken in the middle of December. Keep your chin up, though. As Ned Stark never once said: "Spring is coming."

Smokenfire - Not a gaffer, no. Key Grip. The dark side is the place to be. You ever miss being behind the dolly? That's an art form. 

Walchit - No. LOL! The work is probably pretty steady though. Smelly, but steady.

JesseS said:
Smokenfire - Not a gaffer, no. Key Grip. The dark side is the place to be. You ever miss being behind the dolly? That's an art form. 

Walchit - No. LOL! The work is probably pretty steady though. Smelly, but steady.

Sometimes I miss it but mostly I don't.  One of the most fun things a person can do, and also can be one of the most taxing things.  Often at the same time.  :)

Back