• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Recommendations for peppers plants in DWC. Seem like they are slowly dying

They have been in DWC for about a week now under 220watt T5. In the course of a week 2-4 leaves have fallen off the plants per plant and they have turn somewhat greenish yellow (The HDR camera on the phone is making them look better than there are,). One of them looks really bad. Also brown spots seem to be showing up on some of them and some of the tips seem to be curling. I had the light about 6 inches off the plants I have since moved it to 16 inches. I used FloraGro, FloraBloom, FloraMicro nutrients based on the recommended amounts on the bottle. Although I initially did not mix them in the sequence recommended on the bottle so I am not sure in there is a nut lockout. PH is fine. These were transplanted from soil, they looked so much better in the soil

Please any help would be great...

33w9n4y.jpg
2mpzn1c.jpg
33oi6hz.jpg

For dwp or hydro in general this is what I do. Just look at it and see if it differs from your procedure.
One thing right off the bat is the amount and way you mixed the juice.
Id toss it and refill.
When i get new seedlings ready for hydro:
I get a few 5 gallon buckets and fill about 4 days before use and let them just sit uncovered for 4 days to let the chlorine dissapate.
If they were dirt started i take them out in the dark and rinse the roots thouroughly in cool but not cold water until clean.
Pit them in water with about 1/8 of what I will use of each ingredient and PHup or PHdown to get the water to right about 6.2.
After a week I flush with new mix (always 4 days or more aged water) but this time I go 1/4 to 1/2 strength juice.
The juice has to be mixed like this:
Water first, then add one at a time stirring completely in before adding the next one. After all the mix then start on checking PH.
Once its right then drain and replace with new.
By 3 or 4 weeks I go to full strength.
I now top off and just check the solids content for builup and change completely when it gets too high.
This has been my way for last 6 or 7 seasons and I almost never lose a plant anymore.
I do grow mine outside once started so I start with the buckets under the patio for shade but then move them to full sun slowly(a foot every day or 2.)
Didnt mention that because I think yours are indoor.
Sounds like over fert for new plants and maybe a little too hot lighting.

scrufy said:
For dwp or hydro in general this is what I do. Just look at it and see if it differs from your procedure.
One thing right off the bat is the amount and way you mixed the juice.
Id toss it and refill.
When i get new seedlings ready for hydro:
I get a few 5 gallon buckets and fill about 4 days before use and let them just sit uncovered for 4 days to let the chlorine dissapate.
If they were dirt started i take them out in the dark and rinse the roots thouroughly in cool but not cold water until clean.
Pit them in water with about 1/8 of what I will use of each ingredient and PHup or PHdown to get the water to right about 6.2.
After a week I flush with new mix (always 4 days or more aged water) but this time I go 1/4 to 1/2 strength juice.
The juice has to be mixed like this:
Water first, then add one at a time stirring completely in before adding the next one. After all the mix then start on checking PH.
Once its right then drain and replace with new.
By 3 or 4 weeks I go to full strength.
I now top off and just check the solids content for builup and change completely when it gets too high.
This has been my way for last 6 or 7 seasons and I almost never lose a plant anymore.
I do grow mine outside once started so I start with the buckets under the patio for shade but then move them to full sun slowly(a foot every day or 2.)
Didnt mention that because I think yours are indoor.
Sounds like over fert for new plants and maybe a little too hot lighting.

Thanks scrufy, I appreciate the detailed advice. These are indoors grown in soil before I put them in the dwc. I will throw out the old water and go 1/4 mix to start and go from there.

You think they have a chance based on what you see in the pic?

willard3 said:
You will have to measure and control nutrient strength. 400-600 ppm is good with a NPK ratio of 1:1:1

Any ideas on what a good ratio is on the Floramicro florabloom floragro series. Seems the Floramicro 5-0-1 florabloom 0-5-4 add to 5-5-5 without the floragro 2-1-6. 

Selest said:

Any ideas on what a good ratio is on the Floramicro florabloom floragro series. Seems the Floramicro 5-0-1 florabloom 0-5-4 add to 5-5-5 without the floragro 2-1-6. 

Just start with the easy 1:1:1 ration and only start adjusting the ration when you know what you are doing. Flora series is a 3 part fertilizer, you need to use all of them.(Micro,gro and bloom)

Chilidude said:

Just start with the easy 1:1:1 ration and only start adjusting the ration when you know what you are doing. Flora series is a 3 part fertilizer, you need to use all of them.(Micro,gro and bloom)

ok thanks,  so just one equal does of each then?

Selest said:
ok thanks,  so just one equal does of each then?

10ml/10ml/10ml is a 1:1:1 ration as they all are in equal and so on. Test what kind of ppm/EC does 5ml/5ml/5ml create and let the chili slowly recover from the slow dying state to something alive with milder fertilizer mixture before you start to make stronger mixtures when they grow bigger.

Chilidude said:

10ml/10ml/10ml is a 1:1:1 ration as they all are in equal and so on. Test what kind of ppm/EC does 5ml/5ml/5ml create and let the chili slowly recover from the slow dying state to something alive with milder fertilizer mixture before you start to make stronger mixtures when they grow bigger.

Thanks, is my goal for the recovery to keep the ppm at 400-600 like williard stated before?

Chilidude said:

Something like that, but you of course need a a EC meter to do so.
I appreciate all the help. I purchased a EC/PPM meter that hopefully works well. All these now are at 400-500 PPM. 

They actually seem to have perked up a bit although its probably too early to tell.

If all goes well, when is a good time to increase the nutrition, is there a schedule to go by since the one with with Flora bottles is not fit for peppers or is the rule of thumb to keep it between 400-600? 

Well it seems these little peppers have not developed some dark brown roots. Is this from the over fert? should I just plant them back in the soil or cut off the root?

Any help would really appreciate it!

I have had some similar issues with lower leaves spotting and dying (mostly on the chinese varieties) but each time this happens, new growth starts at that node. My plants aren't getting a lot taller, but they are getting bushier. Mine that are experiencing this are mostly in 4" rock wool cubes, being fed general hydroponics as well. I have been using the dry powered for the gro, and liquid micro. Mixing about 3.25 gallons of water with 2 tsp of gro, and about 8ml of micro. So, a little more than 1/2 of the recommended low doses.

willard3 said:
You have root rot (pythium perhaps). Are you aerating the nutrient with an airstone?
I am using a 2 inch cylinder air stone, with active aqua 3.2l pump. Anything that I can do at this point?

FearTheReaper said:
I have had some similar issues with lower leaves spotting and dying (mostly on the chinese varieties) but each time this happens, new growth starts at that node. My plants aren't getting a lot taller, but they are getting bushier. Mine that are experiencing this are mostly in 4" rock wool cubes, being fed general hydroponics as well. I have been using the dry powered for the gro, and liquid micro. Mixing about 3.25 gallons of water with 2 tsp of gro, and about 8ml of micro. So, a little more than 1/2 of the recommended low doses.
Are you suggesting that I just leave it be for now?

Hey boss,

First, I typed chinenese and the autocorrect caught me...sorry about that.

I'm not really suggesting anything (I am brand new to this whole thing, and feel like I am not in a position to make any real recommendations), just that I have had the same experience, but it seems to be working out.

Here is a picture of a Bhut Jolokia that I am growing that has gone through several of these leaves dying, and then growing incidents. It has been living under a T5 fixture since it popped, and got moved into the 4"x4" rock wool once the second or third set of true leaves emerged. It's still short, the leaves are small but it is branching a lot!
Image 2018-04-29_01.jpeg

Hopefully someone with a lot more experience than me will be able to give solid advice :)

Back