• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

deseeding pepper

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hey everyone   when making my sauce I deseed my peppers fist, after going through several rounds of this it has become a tiresome process. I love to save seeds to trade and grow them out more.   Looking for thoughts from the experts.  Are there some good techniques or machines that do this ? Or should I just leave the seeds in the sauce?   I am using Fish peppers [/SIZE]

Get a sharp paring knife, slice the pepper in half and then cut off the seeds. Leave as much placenta as you can on the pepper. Throw the seeds in a cardboard box lined with paper towels, let them sit under a fan for a few days to dry. Put them in a bowl/container with a lid, throw a set of keys inside and shake the fark out of it. BAM===seeds separated. keep the placenta to use as seasoning===BAM more hot pepper seasoning to throw in dishes.

This is a secret so don't tell anyone. :shh:

And when you have all the seeds you can possibly use, one of these does a pretty good job:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/electric-tomato-mill-1-3-hp-400w/91518901.html

I've used it to process jalapeños into purée. Just remove the stems and cut the peppers in half you so don't get a black-hearted one in the batch.

One pass through left a lot of pulp in the waste. A second pass extracted about 40% as much pulp and juice as the first.

I don't remember now if it was the third, fourth or fifth pass, but at some point the machine started shearing off little curlicues of seeds that looked just like little worms in the resulting sauce. I backed off a pass or two and called it good enough.

PS - They have manually operated models for a lot less money.

I have a version of my sauce where I do deseed the pepper and also take out the placenta. I use the placentas and seeds in a separate jar and fill the jar with vinegar to make hot vinegar, which is good for pouring over cooked greens such as Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Spinach, etc....just a thought for you. :)

Back