• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Topping. Yes that question again.

Curious, when topping do you guys cut bellow the Y including the two leafs that form at the Y joint or do you leave the two leafs that form at the Y joint and just cut off the top stems of the Y?

Curious if anyone does the latter or if everyone just curls bellow the Y with the leafs.

I don't think topping is a common practice around here. I don't really see the point unless really necessary. But IF you would do it, wouldn't it be before it started to fork?

b3rnd said:
I don't think topping is a common practice around here. I don't really see the point unless really necessary. But IF you would do it, wouldn't it be before it started to fork?
Actually topping is a very common practice around here in fact before photobucket fiasco we had a great topping guide here. I bet the majority of members would highly recommend it increase yield exponentially and to avoid too heavy plants. And no you wait for the fork before topping to ensure you have as many growth nodes as possible.

Thank for the reply tho. But I'll wait for people who top to speak up.

Justosmo said:
Actually topping is a very common practice around here in fact before photobucket fiasco we had a great topping guide here. I bet the majority of members would highly recommend it increase yield exponentially and to avoid too heavy plants. And no you wait for the fork before topping to ensure you have as many growth nodes as possible.

Thank for the reply tho. But I'll wait for people who top to speak up.

Didn't know that, haven't noticed it in anyone's glogs before, sorry!

I think the concensus was...
Long growing season--Top...if you want to
Short growing season--let it be...if you want to
Ymmv

Cut the plant under the fork.
But really any cutting of dominant apical nodes will stimulate the lower nodes.

Back