• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need some help with my peppers

This is my first attempt at growing peppers from seed. I ordered a bunch of seeds from White Hot Peppers and got a few extras thrown in for free! I started them in Rapid Rooters and once they germinated I transferred them to solo cups and put them under two (2) of THESE lights. Once they got a little bigger I slowly started putting them outside. I have several plants that look pretty bad. They've pretty much looked like this from the start. It seems like all the leaves are curling down and are stunted. Some of the leaves don't even really grow, they remain brown stubs. I have others, grown the exact same way, that look great. Here are a few examples of each:

Bad: Ghostly Jalapeno The one in the front looks bad, the one in the back looks okay.
Bad: Dragon Cayenne (from Burpee)
Bad: Machu Picchu
Bad: Purple Jalapeno
Good: Purple Chupetinho
Good: I also have some Aji Charapita and Biquinho that look fine.

Looks like some have edema.....hard micro raised spots that cannot be wiped away. Typically caused from over watering.

Leaf claw....the ones that have claw shapes and pointing down. To much nitrogen, over watering, lack of calcium/magnesium and or over feeding.

The leaf on the plant with dark spots beginning to appear.....is that leaf also covered in micro tiny white spots? Kinda looks like spider mites.

You have a few things going on....hope you get it sorted out.

:cheers:

Masher said:
Looks like some have edema.....hard micro raised spots that cannot be wiped away. Typically caused from over watering.

Leaf claw....the ones that have claw shapes and pointing down. To much nitrogen, over watering, lack of calcium/magnesium and or over feeding.

The leaf on the plant with dark spots beginning to appear.....is that leaf also covered in micro tiny white spots? Kinda looks like spider mites.

You have a few things going on....hope you get it sorted out.

:cheers:

Thanks for the response!

I will try to cut back on the watering. I haven't seen what looks like typical edema though - nothing like this: https://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/8962668904af94d6_9-3048/home-design.jpg

I've been using a half dose of MaxiGro with CalMag. Should I try straight water for a while to see if some bounce back? 

I haven't noticed any tiny white dots on any of them. Do they look like aphids? I have some aphids in another part of my garden.

Yep, I certainly have my hands full  :rolleyes: . It's weird that some of the peppers, grown in the exact same conditions, are fine...

Over watering is the number omenthing most newcommers and a lot of us oldtimers do to hurt our plants.
I wait until the leaves are sagging in the dusk shade to water, on full size plants it can be 1 1/2 weeks in 80 plus temps.
Syrprising but my plants flourish.
I do mostly hydro now though because its just..easier if you can believe that. I guess im more in control is a better way to put it.

With seedlings id never go 10 days without watering but I do stick my finger in the edge of the cup way down and if its still moist i hold off. Usually 3 or 4 days. Between watering but it depends on the size of the cup and if its wilting. They are all different, but still the same.
Peppers need well draining soil and little water really.

Edit-
After looking close at the pics i agree, a few things going on. Some over water, some bugs curling leave, and the purple leaves look a lot like sunburn.

scrufy said:
Over watering is the number omenthing most newcommers and a lot of us oldtimers do to hurt our plants.
I wait until the leaves are sagging in the dusk shade to water, on full size plants it can be 1 1/2 weeks in 80 plus temps.
Syrprising but my plants flourish.
I do mostly hydro now though because its just..easier if you can believe that. I guess im more in control is a better way to put it.

With seedlings id never go 10 days without watering but I do stick my finger in the edge of the cup way down and if its still moist i hold off. Usually 3 or 4 days. Between watering but it depends on the size of the cup and if its wilting. They are all different, but still the same.
Peppers need well draining soil and little water really.

Edit-
After looking close at the pics i agree, a few things going on. Some over water, some bugs curling leave, and the purple leaves look a lot like sunburn.

Thanks for the info! So, with the double cup method, I've just been adding water in the 2nd cup. I usually add enough to cover the pebble in the bottom. Should I let that run dry for a while?

I think I'm going to try to convert some of the good looking peppers to hydro. I've had great success with simple Kratky setups.

Back