• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pimentón de la Vera

The chilies used in the production of Pimentón de la Vera are not easy to get your hands on, enough reason to give it a try :)

Pimentón de la Vera is usually found in powdered form in 3 grades of spiciness: sweet (dulce), bittersweet (agridulce) and hot (picante). The varieties used are Bola, Jaranda, Jariza and Jeromin. The sweet version is made of a mix of the Bola and Jaranda variety, the bittersweet version consists of a mix of Jaranda and Jariza and the hot version is made of the Jeromin variety. All varieties are smoked for 8 to 10 days before they are turned into powder.
Here's some more info from one of the producers: http://www.lachinata.com/index.php/lachinata?___store=en

I recently found a source of whole dried / smoked Pimentón de la Vera pods. I was very curious to know if the (also smoked) seeds would still be viable. So I went ahead and ordered a couple of boxes with smoked chilies, extracted the seeds and put them in my heated propagator.

The Dulce variety with Bola pods:
20180421 174809 DMC-LX100 10.90mm f1.70 ISO200 P1010495.jpg

The Agridulce variety. Presumably a mix of Jaranda and Jariza pods:
20180421 174634 DMC-LX100 10.90mm f1.70 ISO200 P1010494.jpg

The Picante variety. This is supposed to be the Jeromin...
20180421 174431 DMC-LX100 14.40mm f2.20 ISO250 P1010493.jpg

As it is already a bit late in the season to start new seeds I only planted some Jeromin seeds. And I am happy to say that, after about 10 days, the first seed germinated! :onfire:
To be continued! :)
20180502 185551 DMC-FZ1000 146.00mm f5.60 ISO1600 P1000090.jpg

That's very interesting......and extremely cool! How awesome that germination is happening! Those are some great varieties that I've never heard of. I like the shape of the Dulce. Fantastic!

Just noticed a third seed coming up!  :dance:
Now that it seems to go so well, I also planted some of the Bola and of the Jaranda/Jariza mix. Too bad I didn't do this right away...
It's already late in the season but I should still be able to obtain at least a couple of pods...
The seeds might be an interesting addition for a seed train also!

MarcV said:
Just noticed a third seed coming up!  :dance:
Now that it seems to go so well, I also planted some of the Bola and of the Jaranda/Jariza mix. Too bad I didn't do this right away...
It's already late in the season but I should still be able to obtain at least a couple of pods...
The seeds might be an interesting addition for a seed train also!
Hooray! I love to see new signs of life. The hooks keep coming. I'm glad you're gonna try the others, as well. I agree about the seed train. Not many people have these varieties. Great stuff!

Glad to see those shoots : ) Hardy little things.

Not the tiniest dried pepper fruits either, I might try not cutting my bhut jolokia in half before drying them.

Well these aren't bhuts, but I just made powder of them and they seriously got me sneezing and coughing! :D

Back