• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground Give up planting peppers in-ground?

Came across this discussion earlier today:
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5116278/give-up-planting-peppers-in-ground
(Pardon for cross-posting)

Ground-growing got virtually no love. I'm a first-time grower and was thinking of growing both in pots and in ground this year. Most plants would go in ground, but I'd only be able to check on those a few times a week, at most. However, the linked discussion has made me reconsider.

From your experience, which is better, for experienced and inexperienced growers? Cheers!

I didn't read the entire thread, but I would ask if his pots will get more than the 6 hours of sun the raised beds do, and if he can manage them the same way, e.g., put the same amount of time/care into them.

I grow both in-ground and in pots (5 gallon or larger). It's somewhat dependent on the pepper, but for the most part, my in-ground peppers are more productive. Both plantings get compost and organic fertilizer and all the sun they can possibly want; I rotate my in-ground beds every year and they're constantly amended with mulch and compost. The potted peppers will go through periods of drying out more quickly in the middle of the summer. That said, I still get great results from potted peppers.

I guess I *should* say I need both in-ground and pots to cover the sheer number of peppers I usually grow. If they all went in-ground, I'd have room for nothing else.

in ground is fine if you understand the problems. Thousands of farmers still grow in ground just fine.

- drainage. If it rains too much your area will flood. You cannot do anything to help

- weeds. Any uncovered ground will turn into weeds. after 4 months this will be huge and can affect your plants growth. They also attract pests to your plants. 

- nutrients. without doing a soil test it's hard to know exactly what you got / what you need. 

Now you can mitigate these problems

- drainage
Raised rows (field/plot) or raised beds(smaller area) helps keep the plant stems out of any standing water and should drain faster.
Amending your soil with larger particles like bark chips / mulch / sand is a must for drainage as well. you don't want your soil becoming a thick mud when it rains. (shout out to all you guys with clay soil lol)
Plastic / Fabric ground cover helps shed heavy rain

- weeds
Plastic / Fabric ground cover helps stop any light from getting through to the weeds and kills them without using any harsh chemicals.
You can cover everything or You can let weeds grow in the walking aisles between rows. They will keep it from getting too muddy. 
But you need to have a plan of how to keep them in control... Make the row wide enough that your mower will fit is good practice.
otherwise you will be weeding more than actual gardening your peppers which is not fun

- nutrients
just apply everything you know peppers need and hope for the best.
or something like osmocote smart release mixed in. 
or apply nutrient rich compost tea
or just water with hydro nutrients

Some people just find it easier to buy the fast draining potting mix and a few pots and call it a day vs doing all the work above.

Living in the South, it was funny to read about all the people going with pots so they could have warmer soil.

For me, one of the advantages of growing in the ground is keeping things a little cooler. I'm sure the warmth is fine, but the heat evaporates the water so quickly in pots (in my growing zone).

I do raised beds and pots.

Pots require tons more work keeping on top of watering staking fertilizing, adding a bottom saucer that's 2" deep helps but make sure the plant can drink up any water in the saucer in a days time if you use saucers.

My raised beds are composted manure and soil, with sand and other organic material 18" deep.

My bed plants grow bigger sturdier and produce 2/3+ more peppers than pots.

My pots are premium blends and good regiment on ferts using 10nc and 15nc black nursery pots.

Back