• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

***Beginner Tips?

I live in Minnesota and this is my second year growing hot peppers. This year I am growing Carolina reapers, Trinidad Scorpions, Bhut Jolokia and Chocolate and White Habanero's.

What is the best soil to use and what nutrients? // Currently struggling to decided on the best "mix"
Also, what are some way You prevent aphids?

Thank you!
:dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Depends on what you have available around you but I like fox farms ocean forest for potting soil but if your options are limited, then even just miracle grow potting soil will work just fine and it's available pretty much everywhere. You'll need to start feeding nutrients after a few weeks or a month so it depends on whether you wanna go organic or synthetic. Organic nutrients I like earth juice products and for non organic I like Dyna gro. As far as aphids go, it's difficult to prevent them but introducing lady bugs will help or you can use a mix of dish soap and neem oil spray to kill them.

Make your own mix.
Start with 3-1-1,bark based.
I personally use more like a 3/1/1/1 mix.
3 parts bark,1 part each of pearlite,pomice stone and peat.
I use more of the 1 stuff because the original mix doesn't hold water well.

See the posts here about 311 mixes using bark and potting soil.

Why I mix my own is that it lasts for YEARS with only topping off.
It's a cross between Hydroponics and a soil mix.

I really don't like Ocean Farms stuff.
Too many organics in it that break down.
Plants do great until the nutes in the soil run out (right about pod set).

My grow is just that My Grow...

I advise you to search out the posts about 311 and other versions of it.
Ya it costs a little more to make your own soil,But it lasts for years.
Set it and forget it. LOL
Topping the soil off every couple years is way more better than new soil every year.

Most of my grow is in ground but for container plants I use ocean forest mixed with perlite and promix. Ocean forest here is cheap under $15 a bag. OF is a very "hot" product so I've never had to use any extra ferts. you can check out my glog from last season to see some pepper trees grown in 10gal pots using that mix. Cheers

Have been having a lot of issues with aphids/thrips and other annoying bugs too. Recently bought a $8 pump sprayer and have been hitting all my plants with neem oil + soap mix. It seems to be helping a lot! I make sure to spray them after sundown when it's cool so the leaves don't burn.

It feels like I've tried everything that you can find in your home when trying to fight aphids. I bout a bottle of Pyrinex and it worked really nice. Another thing that have worked for me, if your plants aren't that big, is to fill a bucket with water and adding some soap. Cut a hole in a plastic bag and get your plant to through the hole. Now you need to tie the plastic bag tightly at the bottom of your container. Put the plant, with leaves, in the water (upside down). This method is quite risky and you I assume it's best to shower the plant afterwards. 

theChiliLife said:
It feels like I've tried everything that you can find in your home when trying to fight aphids. I bout a bottle of Pyrinex and it worked really nice. Another thing that have worked for me, if your plants aren't that big, is to fill a bucket with water and adding some soap. Cut a hole in a plastic bag and get your plant to through the hole. Now you need to tie the plastic bag tightly at the bottom of your container. Put the plant, with leaves, in the water (upside down). This method is quite risky and you I assume it's best to shower the plant afterwards. 
I use this bucket method with soap + water on plants I get from the nursery. They usually have an aphid or 1000. But their soil is obviously different than my own. If I do this with my plants, I would need the plastic bag...because my soil is dry on top. Not an issue with greenhouse plants. Just flip upside down and swirl in the water. Let sit in the shade until dry then rinse off with a spray bottle.

I order lady bugs from amazon they devour those poor aphids lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use azamax as well for aphids in a pump sprayer. Better coverage that way.

I have had good success with ffof as well.

Here's a Cherio Creme'a Habanero from last season.

20171028_121456.jpg

smokemaster said:
Make your own mix.
Start with 3-1-1,bark based.
I personally use more like a 3/1/1/1 mix.
3 parts bark,1 part each of pearlite,pomice stone and peat.
I use more of the 1 stuff because the original mix doesn't hold water well.

See the posts here about 311 mixes using bark and potting soil.

Why I mix my own is that it lasts for YEARS with only topping off.
It's a cross between Hydroponics and a soil mix.

I really don't like Ocean Farms stuff.
Too many organics in it that break down.
Plants do great until the nutes in the soil run out (right about pod set).

My grow is just that My Grow...

I advise you to search out the posts about 311 and other versions of it.
Ya it costs a little more to make your own soil,But it lasts for years.
Set it and forget it. LOL
Topping the soil off every couple years is way more better than new soil every year.

No love for the coir in 3-1-1/4-2-2/5-1-1 etc?? We need to turn the OP onto the container mix thread! I am on my phone so can't find it but OP if you're reading this check out the FAQ sticky on soil types and the MIKEUSMC thread on container mixes I believe. Good stuff!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Bhuter said:
I use this bucket method with soap + water on plants I get from the nursery. They usually have an aphid or 1000. But their soil is obviously different than my own. If I do this with my plants, I would need the plastic bag...because my soil is dry on top. Not an issue with greenhouse plants. Just flip upside down and swirl in the water. Let sit in the shade until dry then rinse off with a spray bottle.
Learn something new every day here!

Sure beats the azamax method IMO if it works as advertised. I hate azamax..

I planted Marigolds throughout my garden for the first time this year and knock on wood have not had a single aphid all year. My peppers used to get bombarded with aphids till I tried this.

P3PP3RDaDDy said:
I planted Marigolds throughout my garden for the first time this year and knock on wood have not had a single aphid all year. My peppers used to get bombarded with aphids till I tried this.
Yeah I've heard of that and basil as well but wasn't sure how edible marigolds were (or tasty for that matter) so I Rocked out with the herbs like basil, hot+spicy oregano, sage, strawberry mint, and fennel (supposed to place it away from peppers-the fennel that is, probably has something to do with root exudes) and this sugar plant (supposed to be like 100x sweeter than sugar) so hopefully those will function as a deterrent or a alternative sacrificial plant, time will tell! Now that I've used some of the herbs in my kitchen though I wanna plant more, they are bomb!

Go to your local Home Depot and they should carry Dr. Earth potting soil.  It's OMRI listed (certified for Organic use).  I would also top dress with compost and mulch.  For aphid control, planting with Marigolds is your best bet.  

YAMracer754 said:
Yeah I've heard of that and basil as well but wasn't sure how edible marigolds were (or tasty for that matter) so I Rocked out with the herbs like basil, hot+spicy oregano, sage, strawberry mint, and fennel (supposed to place it away from peppers-the fennel that is, probably has something to do with root exudes) and this sugar plant (supposed to be like 100x sweeter than sugar) so hopefully those will function as a deterrent or a alternative sacrificial plant, time will tell! Now that I've used some of the herbs in my kitchen though I wanna plant more, they are bomb!

I could care less about the Marigolds lol. They're protecting all the crops I do care about. I've read they're good for deterring other pests and creatures like rabbits too.

YAMracer754 said:

By sugar plant, do you mean stevia? I really love to have it out with the plants because I can just pick a leaf off for while I'm tending to the peppers.

AndyW said:
By sugar plant, do you mean stevia? I really love to have it out with the plants because I can just pick a leaf off for while I'm tending to the peppers.
Honestly I'm not sure let me take a pic and Google it, it's sweet asf I know that just from eating the leaves. One would think it's Stevia.. I'm

1bdb1a8594a5fbd341b31ba3d6df48c9.jpg

Looks like it to me. I brought my neglected and abused plant inside to take a picture. It should really probably be trimmed more often and in a bigger pot but it doesn't seem too bad off.

cEWN1kt.jpg

P3PP3RDaDDy said:
I could care less about the Marigolds lol. They're protecting all the crops I do care about. I've read they're good for deterring other pests and creatures like rabbits too.
Are those properties limited to just the Calendula marigolds, or will it work with the Tagetes marigolds, too?

I have been wanting to grow Mexican marigolds as a tarragon substitute, and I've been wanting to grow Calendula to ward off pests. It'd be great to get a two-fer-one kind of deal....

Back