• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

[May 7] What are you working on this week?

10 seedlings going into pots for sure today. Possibly more.

Need to adjust locations due to germination failures/late starts/new additions

Load of raised bed mix delivery before Friday....This is gunna suck moving 3 cubic yards by wheelbarrow to the back yard but some does stay in the front to start covering the dead ivy bed.

Probably need to mix up some more container mix too but i want to see the raised bed mix first. It might work fine.

Get 3 maters planted and protected with plastic fence or something...Damn squirrels are NOT getting my maters this year. The Big Mama roma was a total PITA to find locally!!!!

Minor repair to the cuke trellis and plant some container cukes today too.

Transplanting peppers, tomatoes and basil into larger containers and going to enjoy Mothers day weekend as it will be in the 90's Friday-Monday. I also bought some shade cloth for summer protection and putting up some bird netting over my blueberry and raspberry plants I have 20 in containers to cover. 

Besides my regular mowing gig I'll be getting the farm ready for me to be away a week. Saturday a friend and I are leaving for Smyrna Tennessee on our bicycles. We have to be there by Wednesday. Son graduates on Thursday and wife and oldest son will be at my mom's by car Wednesday evening. We are actually going to try and get there on Tuesday but we will need lots of things to go right. Nursery and animals will be tended by our house sitter. Biggest job this week will be getting plenty of rest and hydration.

Crap, only had enough light mix for 6 fabric pots and the rest is way too heavy. Menards has 2cuft bales of Pro-Mix All Purpose for about $14.

Sooooooo, you can guess where im heading to right now?

All seedlings that were large enough are in their pots today. 2 Mucho Nacho remain but they are going in the ground. 2 Farmers market, 2 Biker Billy and 2 Fresno are also going in the ground but they are still getting used to the sun.

Still have a few on 1 window sill that are growing fast. 2 might go in the ground.

Going to the composting place tomorrow to look at a couple other mixes they offer. I saw one listed on their website that sounds better than their raised be mix.

Transplanted 25 seedlings to the aeroponics system. Have about 15 to go saturday when ready.
Small crop this year for sure.

I have a living hedge (laurel aka bay leaf)

It gives cover to the hummingbirds and we like the greenery it provides to our backyard.

I have been avoiding pruning it last 3 years and it has grown to 14+ feet tall.

Decided today was a good day for a trim and much needed as it was over shading the grow boxes after mid afternoon.

After trimming all the new sprouting and bright green tips I removed 7' off the top.

To hot tomorrow 89* for the other side so it will have to wait for next week's 70's to finish topping it all.

3 hrs to get just one side trimmed up.

20180512_111915.jpg

20180512_150433.jpg

Yeah, I've got some viburnum that is probably 12 to 15 feet.  Just waiting until the bees and flowers are gone, then figure out how to do this..

Back