• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Bonnie Golden Ghost

I saw one of these at my local Walmart and picked one up. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it a normal yellow bhut or some weird cross? It seems to be new to Bonnie, as they don't have a page for it up and running.

AndyW said:
Thanks!

Huh, it seems weird that they list it as an annuum. I'd think something with the ghost name and rated at 900k shu would definitely be chinense.
While  Johnny's Golden Ghost - annuum shows individual pods in pic Totally Tomatoes - Golden Ghost Hybrid Pepper - chinense shows them on the plant, sure does look like multiple fruit per node (See below.) but both sites list this as a cross so, Inheritance and transfer of multiple-flower character from Capsicum chinense into Capsicum annuum.....

"Although it is unlikely that the multiple-flower character can be transferred to C. annuum in its full intensity while maintaining a horticulturally-acceptable phenotype, it may be possible to breed varieties which produce an average of more than 1.5 flowers per node, a value 50% higher than existing C. annuum varieties."

GoldenGhostHybridPepper.jpg

Hope this helps! NECM

Sorry, forgot... After grow out, pix of mature fruit, would show annular constriction....

In addition, the fruit of habanero chillies usually have an annular constriction between the calyx and pedicel, see below.
annualar%20constriction-2-website-with%20arrow.jpg

What's a Habanero chilli?, Annular constriction between the calyx and pedicel

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
While  Johnny's Golden Ghost - annuum shows individual pods in pic Totally Tomatoes - Golden Ghost Hybrid Pepper - chinense shows them on the plant, sure does look like multiple fruit per node (See below.) but both sites list this as a cross so, Inheritance and transfer of multiple-flower character from Capsicum chinense into Capsicum annuum.....

"Although it is unlikely that the multiple-flower character can be transferred to C. annuum in its full intensity while maintaining a horticulturally-acceptable phenotype, it may be possible to breed varieties which produce an average of more than 1.5 flowers per node, a value 50% higher than existing C. annuum varieties."

GoldenGhostHybridPepper.jpg

Hope this helps! NECM

Sorry, forgot... After grow out, pix of mature fruit, would show annular constriction....

In addition, the fruit of habanero chillies usually have an annular constriction between the calyx and pedicel, see below.
annualar%20constriction-2-website-with%20arrow.jpg

What's a Habanero chilli?, Annular constriction between the calyx and pedicel
That's interesting. Hopefully I keep it alive long enough to find out how the pods are.

How is yours doing? Of all my plants (50+ varieties) my Golden Ghost has the most fruit-set so far. It's doing really well with its vegetative growth as well. To me it seems like it's an annuum x chinense cross.

Mine had a bit of a setback with some experimenting I did where it lost most of its leaves, but it's bounced back. No fruit yet though. Definitely growing pretty well vegetatively vs my other ghosts

I manage the garden center for a Home Depot in Idaho. I was looking forward to Bonnie's Golden Ghost since this March, when Bonnie's told us there would be two kinds of ghosts this year: red and yellow.

I was stoked. I had saved the seeds from red ghost in 2017 and regrew them this year, but those plants died off during the hardening process. 

According to the Bonnie's rep the company's golden ghost had numerous failures and a complete die off in cases, which halted the golden ghost from ever being in my area or most areas. I bugged him constantly about when we were going to get a shipment of them in. None of the competitors around here (Lowe's, WalMart) had the golden ghost either. 

At least one of the red ghosts I picked up in May, when the plants were $1.89 for the daily deal, happened to be the golden, though it was labeled red and all from the same tray. 

I'm hoping at least one of the other two is red. Below is the ripe golden that took 31 days to complete.

V

Attachments

• IMG_3667.JPG
    IMG_3667.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 81
That looks... Very different from my golden ghost. I don't have a rile pod yet but I have a couple setting. I'll reply with a pic

Haven't tried this bad boy yet (half's going into a salsa & the other half a jam) but the green ones kick pretty hard.

V

MisterBigglesworth said:
Verne, yours sure looks like an annum. Has it got heat?

I'm saving seeds from both so I can send some your way at season's end. 

V
Chorizo857_62J said:
Have seen the red Bhut cross here at the local HD, but have not seen the yellow variety as of yet. Reds do very well. :onfire:

The "look" is merely just a different phenotype and doesn't mean this is an annuum. Bonnie's red ghosts have two different phenotypes, at least in 2017, one smooth and one traditionally bubbly. I ended up with both phones, and one of the peppers had a scorpion tail. 

It tastes like a ghost pepper to me. While yellow is generally "not as hot" it is still potent. Walls are maybe thicker than usual. 

V

MisterBigglesworth said:
Verne, yours sure looks like an annum. Has it got heat?

SpeakPolish said:
So does it taste like an annuum

Back