• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil additives

So...growing peppers for the first time and its getting to the point of potting up. I understand what nutrients are required and space issues etc, but for large containers which will be the final destination for most of the plants, this is the soil I have access to: http://www.waytogrow.ca/shopping/products/paradise-indoor-soil/
Because of where I live shipping is prohibitively expensive, and bigger communities are hours away Id like to get some input on what options I have using what I have access to. No vermiculite, no perlite, no commercial mixes other than than what I have. Ive found that this soil compacts very easily which is why I dont like it. I can get compost, will that help? What is an old fashioned way to assist with soil aeration? Any input will be appreciated.

Sand, pea gravel, sifted mulch, hell even chopped up Styrofoam peanuts could work, the compost will aid in the moisture retentive capacity of the medium which could be a plus or a minus depending on your climate, and as you mentioned the soils aeration/porosity. It's nice to find a decent balance but once you do it each time your mix can improve because you learn from past ones as far as what you liked, didn't like, etc.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Hi Nwtnorthman,

You haven't mentioned which area of the world your are in, but if you live in Asia or an area where rice hulls/husks (not the rice grain) are easily available, then use that. I live in Indonesia and use around 50-60% compost, 10% (goat) manure, and 30-40% rice husks. Rice husks are great because a) they are very cheap here, b) are organic matter that will eventually break down and add nutrients to the soil, and c) are a good alternative to perlite or vermiculite.

Rice husks allow the soil to drain more easily, but also retain the moisture. And more importantly, they provide gaps in the soil for aeration and root growth. My peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, beans and pretty much everything else love the mix. I also throw in granular organic fertilizer at the time of repotting, as well as feeding my plants weekly liquid organic fertilizer when they are big and start to flower. 

Hope that helps!   

Chile Jim said:
Hi Nwtnorthman,

You haven't mentioned which area of the world your are in, but if you live in Asia or an area where rice hulls/husks (not the rice grain) are easily available, then use that. I live in Indonesia and use around 50-60% compost, 10% (goat) manure, and 30-40% rice husks. Rice husks are great because a) they are very cheap here, b) are organic matter that will eventually break down and add nutrients to the soil, and c) are a good alternative to perlite or vermiculite.

Rice husks allow the soil to drain more easily, but also retain the moisture. And more importantly, they provide gaps in the soil for aeration and root growth. My peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, beans and pretty much everything else love the mix. I also throw in granular organic fertilizer at the time of repotting, as well as feeding my plants weekly liquid organic fertilizer when they are big and start to flower. 

Hope that helps!   
CJ, I totally agree with you in every way shape and form. Exactly my thoughts on my mind. I've been looking for Rice hulls a lot lately, and I've come up with nothing, especially with the local feed stores and such and even the garden centers; but hopefully I can get some off the internet, but it still kinda defeats the purpose because they're disposable and even junk in some considerations, but yet I be paying a premium online. I hate how perlite is such a mess when it comes down to it as it doesn't break down and it's a volcanic rock, vermiculite you know, same story... But it would be nice to find a product that can provide the aeration and porosity and the biodegradable on top of that! Not to mention, I assume it holds at least a small amount of moisture?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Back