• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Making chipotle from frozen jalapenos

Has tried smoking jalapenos that have previously been frozen?

In peak season my eight jalapeno plants can produce enough in a week that I can load up my smoker and smoke them over the weekend before they go off. However, in autumn they only produce 10 or 15 ripe red jalapenos a week, it's not worth smoking that few.

I think the jalapenos will get quite soft after being frozen, but I'm not sure that will be a problem if they're being smoked then dehydrated.

Any thoughts or experience?

Are they red? Chipotles are smoked red jalapenos slow smoked over pecan wood for days. If they are red, sure why not?

The Hot Pepper said:
Are they red? Chipotles are smoked red jalapenos slow smoked over pecan wood for days. If they are red, sure why not?

Yes, I let them ripen to red as they taste a bit sweeter, though I've done some green and they were fine. I use apple wood. So maybe it's not quite chipotles but they taste pretty good :)

PexPeppers said:
I've done it with frozen, it works! just takes a bit and gets a bit moist at first.

Interesting, thanks :) Even fresh they take a couple of days to dry when halved, and they stink the house out. I might need some other place to dry them outside, given I can't use the shed.

A question occurred to me while reading this thread.  Has anyone here tried smoking peppers they've already dried?  Being uncertain of the science behind flavoring with smoking, would think some smoke would be incorporated.   

nmlarson said:
A question occurred to me while reading this thread.  Has anyone here tried smoking peppers they've already dried?  Being uncertain of the science behind flavoring with smoking, would think some smoke would be incorporated.   

My guess is not much. I suspect smoke gets into the soft flesh, and then it's all dried. If it's already dried it wouldn't absorb much smoke.

YAMracer754 said:
What you guys using to smoke em with?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I use the A-Maze-N pellet tube from Amazon, along with apple wood pellets similar to these ones (I use these apple pellets which I buy locally). I load up an old $100 BBQ with jalapenos, put the smoking tube in, light it with my paint stripping gun set to 600 degrees C (I haven't figured out any other way to light them), and leave them there for 6-8 hours. The jalapenos come out just about dripping of smoke.

timnz said:
I use the A-Maze-N pellet tube from Amazon, along with apple wood pellets similar to these ones (I use these apple pellets which I buy locally). I load up an old $100 BBQ with jalapenos, put the smoking tube in, light it with my paint stripping gun set to 600 degrees C (I haven't figured out any other way to light them), and leave them there for 6-8 hours. The jalapenos come out just about dripping of smoke.

Thanks for the input.  And the suggestion.  I've been using this, but have never been able to keep it lit for an extended period of time.

smoking2.jpg

timnz said:

My guess is not much. I suspect smoke gets into the soft flesh, and then it's all dried. If it's already dried it wouldn't absorb much smoke.

Oooh that sounds oh so good can't wait to try!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10DQeSk1LaY

Back