• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Jalapenos - when to transplant & fertilizing question

Hello everyone,

Its my first time I planted anything in my life and I am thoroughly enjoying the experience :)

I planted jalapenos,serranos,cayennes & some pepper mix seeds about 40 days ago, and it has been coming on nicely. They are outside on the balcony and are getting full sunlight all day (during the night I cover them with plastic bag to retain the optimum temperature)
Temperature range from 63 to 86 during the day.

I bought soil to transplant the plants in bigger containers, containers are about 5 gallons in size.

https://imgur.com/a/igjPyZR

1. Should I transplant the plants right now ? ( see the attached images)
2. Is it necessary to mix some fertilizers into the soil? 
3. How much water they need after transplanting?

Thank you!

What do you have for soil? If it were me I would either wait til the roots are more interwoven and developed (say another week or so depending), and then transplant them to your 5's, or you can transplant them into an intermediate container ie. 1 gal to 'stay on top of the growth' in regards to them getting bound and slowing their growth.. Fertilizer question solely relies upon what your soil/medium is

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

`
Please don't misunderstand this as a correction - it's a clarification.

Soil is what we till outside to grow plants in - media is a loose artificial soil replacement we generally use in pots.

`NECM

I'd start them on a super diluted dose of liquid ferts...  Or on 1/4 strength liquid fish.

As an alternative, if you have access to rabbit poo, just make a tea out of that, and dilute it 20:1 with your normal waterings, until they get about 5-7 sets of full leaves.  Then, full strength ferts.

solid7 said:
I'd start them on a super diluted dose of liquid ferts...  Or on 1/4 strength liquid fish.

As an alternative, if you have access to rabbit poo, just make a tea out of that, and dilute it 20:1 with your normal waterings, until they get about 5-7 sets of full leaves.  Then, full strength ferts.
Whoa...solid7, you're back

jalapeno15 said:

I FOUND the little buggers! What are these??? And how to get rid of them??

They're caterpillars.  LOL :D
The cheapest way to get rid of them, is to squish them with your fingers. ;)

solid7 said:

They're caterpillars.  LOL :D
The cheapest way to get rid of them, is to squish them with your fingers. ;)

Haha nooo way!  :P

They are barely visible. Don't tell me I need to flip the leaves everyday and check for these party poopers?

jalapeno15 said:

Haha nooo way!  :P

They are barely visible. Don't tell me I need to flip the leaves everyday and check for these party poopers?

That's up to you.  I am a cheap ass, and don't buy pesticides. (plus I just don't like using them)
But if you go that route, yes, every day.  Check and squish.  Otherwise, some neem oil will do them in nicely. 

The journey to knowledge continues..

My jalapeno peppers have been forming some weird, deformed leaves and are wrinkly prinkly! Whats next for them?

Ok my plants are under siege !! 

I found these little bugs under few leaves, it appears they are aphids. No need to mention I squashed them and sent them back to their aphid hell! How to control these buggers and their population?

Also my new growth and leaves are bright green/yellow is this normal?

I am very new to this so all the help is appreciated!

You have an aphid infestation AND a caterpillar problem.

Get "insecticidial soap" for the aphids to kill all of them on contact, and also Neem oil. Neem is more preventive.

What the other guy said with using Neem for caterpillars is not true. Caterpillars need other stuff, like "bacteria thuringiensis" to get rid of them.
All these methods, insecticidal soap, Neem and bacteria thuringiensis are safe, effective, non chemical and non toxic.

Also...many aphids you do not even see with the eye, with the exception of these big aphids there in your picture.You could also have spider mites, thrips and whatever, and you would only see them with a loupe. But insecticidial soap gets rid of all of them.

And new growth on top being brighter is normal.

flexy123 said:
What the other guy said with using Neem for caterpillars is not true. Caterpillars need other stuff, like "bacteria thuringiensis" to get rid of them.

While BT is a very good solution for caterpillars, Neem also works well.  On every size, from pin head size, up to tomato horn worms.  If it eats the leaves, the Neem works.
To say that something is "not true" means that it's false, or a lie.  But I use Neem to control my caterpillars, year in, year out.  Perhaps you meant to say that you prefer using BT.  But I assure you, what "the other guy said" is NOT not true. ;)

Hi pepper brothers,

In your experience what is the best way to apply neem oil? Full blown or somehow to dilute it?

There are only little 50ml bottles available around here.

Back