• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Help me match peppers to preservation style?

Hi everyone!

I'm growing several different varieties of peppers in large containers on my balcony, but I'm not expecting a massive yield of any one pepper. As a result, I probably won't have enough to do multiple preserves for each pepper, and I'd like to keep the peppers separate to let their unique flavors shine through, so I was wondering if anyone has strong opinions on the best-tasting way to preserve specific peppers? For example, do some peppers lose their unique flavors when dried, or do some peppers stand out more in a ferment vs. just vingear preparation?

The peppers I'm interested in preserving are:

- Fatalii
- Chocolate Habanero
- Aji Limo
- Scotch Bonnet
- Caribbean Red

The techniques I'd consider are:

- Dehydrating
- Ferment -> Cook
- Live ferment (e.g. yuzu kosho)
- Vinegar-based hot sauce (no fermentation)
- BWB-canned salsas
- Freezing (if they're really just best on their own)

Any thoughts on the best technique(s) for each pepper?

I think that most if not all of your varieties are best frozen, in salsa or in a sauce. Though, I've made Caribbean Red flakes and they make an awesome pizza topping. 

I think as you taste them and experience the flavours for yourself you will know what to do.

I wind up freezing about half and drying about half. Put another way, the peppers I know I like as powders - paprika, rooster, ghost, etc - I dry immediately. The others I freeze and use as necessary in salsa and other recipes. 

Back