• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Xanthan Gum

Hello all,

In recent time I've begun the process of making my own how sauces. I've had some good turnouts except for the consistency that I'm looking for. I have not yet used xanthan gum in any of my sauces but I just ordered some to see if I can get the consistency that I am aiming for. For the most part when I make my sauces, I cook all of my ingredients in a pan, blend, cook again in a pan, then bottle hot.

Can anyone let me know the best time to add the xanthan gum?

I read in one place that its best to add during the blending step, but I wanted some more opinions or advice if I could get it.

Is it recommended that I mix with water before mixing, or does it not mater?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Xanthan can be added at any point. It holds up during cooking. A little goes a long way. Like...1tablespoon per gallon of something of water consistency. Less if the sauce is thicker.

There are also foods that are natural thickeners. Apple, yam, carrot, pumpkin, okra...

Good luck!
SL

Oh, don't have to mix with water, but it does help to add it while mixing. Carefully! It'll clump up if you just dump a spoonful in the sauce.

There is a post pinned in this section that talks about all sorts of thickeners and emulsifiers.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I'm typically making fairly thick sauces, but when i strain thru a sieve, I'm seeing noticeable separation in the sauce once its thinned out. That's why I want to try the Xanthan gum.

Thanks again

Maybe try a food mill instead of a sieve. Mills generally work more pulp through into the sauce than a sieve.

Have fun!
SL

It's interesting to try out many alternatives.
Xanath Gum is great ingredient because it solves a lot of commercial scale problems.
You can explore other ingredients that are even more useful for personal use - if that makes sense

Back