• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How far can spider mites and white flies travel?

So, on one side of my yard I found a nasty infestation of spider mites and white flies.
This is one of those side yards you kind of forget about. It does have a few last years peppers and a lemon tree but I rarely go out there. Had a dirt bike crash last year and metal plates now in my leg and im still getting back on my feet good and theres obstacles there. My plants this year are on the other end yard around the house.
Sonfar everythings healthy but think Im going to spray them down with either some water/peroxide mix or some oil soap.
Question is, have they already got to my new plants. Theyve been outside a month anda half or so. Dont see any signs and really dont want to treat my new plants if I dont need to-on the other hand nothing hurts peppers for me like spidermites. The white flies I can deal with and theyre fairly easy to spot under the leaves.

Whitefly can travel as far as they'd like.  They are almost like a tiny little moth.  They won't be active on windy days.  But they'll hitch rides on plant matter, or anything else non-threatening that gets them to someplace else.

Here's the bad news - if you have whitefly, so does everyone else around you.  They're nasty bitches.  Spraying them outdoors is a waste of time.  You'll kill the first wave, and then the second wave, with no competition for food, moves right in.  And, of course, you never find just one...

The good news - they don't like certain plants.  Do a quick Google search for "plants that repel whitefly", and make it a point to plant lots of that near the stuff you want to keep.  Because whitefly absolutely LOVE pepper plants, and if you don't make the area inhospitable to them, then you'll soon think you're growing cotton, instead of capsicum.

I plant lots of peppermint and basil, as my primary companions.  Catnip is recommended, but I really don't want cats in my garden, so I tend to avoid that. 

Spraying down your plants' foliage - mostly the underside - is a good way to keep a problem at bay, in the near term.

I had a bad spider mite infestation on my zucchini last year but they left my peppers alone which were less than 20 feet away. I'm not saying they don't like peppers cuz they most certainly do but they definitely have preferences depending on what plants are available.

I believe that's totally true.  So, if you know of a definite species to use as a "sacrificial" plant to contain an infestation, that's also certainly an option.

But in truth, I'd be more worried about the whitefly.  The spider mites are a whole lot easier to treat.  You should be able to knock them down right away with either Azamax or Neem.

Back