#1 AMfood

AMfood

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

Hi guys,

I am trying to perfect my hot fill process so I can get my sauce out of the homemade side. With the Glass containers i need the numbers for temp, head space and vacuum. I have temp of 205 for fill and head space of 1/4 in, but I would like to know with a glass container how do you calculate for vacuum? I cannot find an equation or a device that is used for glass to get vacuum. (edited for clarification)

Edited by AMfood, 15 May 2018 - 09:43 AM.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Jubnat

Jubnat

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • aka:a turtle's dream in outer space

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

You should get a vacuum by hot filling.  As the sauce cools, it will shrink in volume, creating a vacuum.

#3 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 13,670 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

What jubnut said is correct.  Check out the Making Hot Sauce 101 thread, that should answer most of your questions.

Good Luck!

SL

PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#4 nmlarson

nmlarson

Heating Up

• Extreme
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:53 AM

What jubnut said is correct.  Check out the Making Hot Sauce 101 thread, that should answer most of your questions.

Good Luck!

SL

salsalady,

Please clarify this for my own curiosity....is "hot filling" part of the hot water bath canning process, or a distinct process in itself?  While it has been some time since I was schooled in canning, and I'm aware some schools of thought on the subject have changed, I'd always been taught that hot filling, in itself, doesn't really create a shelf-stable product.  Thanks!

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.        Robert Heinlein

#5 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 13,670 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

The Hot Fill Hold method (HFH) is different from boiling water bath  (BWB) which is different than pressure canning.

BWB is using traditional canning jars with metal lids and rings.  The jars are filled with hot or cold product.  The jars are immersed in boiling water for the prescribed time and then removed from the boiling water and allowed to cool.

HFH is used for glass bottles with PLASTIC caps.  The plastic caps cannot be immersed in water.  In the HFH process, a sauce with the proper pH is heated to the proper temp (usually 200F).  The heated sauce is put into the glass bottle which is immediately capped and inverted.   The bottles are kept inverted for about 5 minutes which allows the heated sauce to come in contact with the inside of the cap.

Pressure canning is a whole other process that is not commonly used by sauce makers.

This is explained in pretty good detail in the Hot Sauce 101 thread.

Hope this helps~

SL

PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#6 cone9

cone9

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

The key words in HFH would be "proper pH".   If the pH of your product is too high you will be risking exposure to botulinum toxin. 

So many peppers, so little time!             GO  BUCKEYES !            Anymore, it seems the only thing I get done quickly is get older

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests