• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Moon over my Yammy

Anyone ever grow yams? Not sweet potato but actual yam.

Had a purple one sitting in the kitchen for a while and it sprang a nice shoot... Going to plant this bad boy outside and see if I can get some baby yams going.. the sprout is a really lovely purple!
b50a81968c4f960c04b7e62b5948eff2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Cool.
Is it Ipomoea batatas?
Yam and sweet potato are the same thing. Unless your talking another type of plant.

They come in many colors, red, purple, white, orange, yellow, and combinations. They can have bushing or vining growth habits, your appears to be vining. There are 2 leaf shapes, ovate-cordate or palmate types. Some varieties are considered ornamental because they do not produce large tubers or because they have variegated foliage or exceptionalor larger than normal flowers. They look like morning glories.
High heat and humidity are conducive to sprouting. The sprouts when broken off, will root in water, fairly easily.
If u plant that tuber half way in the soil sprout side up, it will root and produce many shoots that can be separated and rooted and used as starts for new plants.

DF, if your planting for harvest then rooted sprouts will give better results.
If your planting for sprouts then be sure to only plant the distal half with the sprout above the soil.
There is also a water bath technique that will root the sprouts before removing from the tuber, but is more difficult to maintain. Lotsa water changes.

I dipped it in water and is resting n the window cill, once the roots grow a bit more I will then cut up the root to its individual sprouts, will wait till their a couple inches long. Clouded over with dark clouds today off on rain so no sun so will take a few days. Will keep an eye on it and keep it moist :)

Dane said:
Cool.
Is it Ipomoea batatas?
Yam and sweet potato are the same thing. Unless your talking another type of plant.

They come in many colors, red, purple, white, orange, yellow, and combinations. They can have bushing or vining growth habits, your appears to be vining. There are 2 leaf shapes, ovate-cordate or palmate types. Some varieties are considered ornamental because they do not produce large tubers or because they have variegated foliage or exceptionalor larger than normal flowers. They look like morning glories.
High heat and humidity are conducive to sprouting. The sprouts when broken off, will root in water, fairly easily.
If u plant that tuber half way in the soil sprout side up, it will root and produce many shoots that can be separated and rooted and used as starts for new plants.

Definitely not the same...different botanical classifications completely, not even related.

So are we talking about dioscorea then? Or another variety entirely? The moniker "yam" is used to vaguely describe a plethora of tuberous vegetables from ipomoea to oca, konjac, the dioscorea varieties, taro, and various others.
One of the most commonly found in the US is ipomoea.

Well what is in my kitchen is a yam... Or I guess a Dioscoreaceae if we are getting all fancified. Regardless of that though I love both kinds and enjoy reading posts about both.

This kinda yam we generally cook by smacking it into a paste using a cleaver and making a soup out of it.

Here's yam coming in for a close up. Had it sitting for about a month to get it to sprout [emoji16]

fe994e6b6677a33afbb962c7391d8e76.jpg

dragonsfire said:
My Sweet Potatoes are sprouting, gonna plant one and see how it goes.

pAC8gC7.jpg
Give it lots of space, they can take over the garden bed with tasty goodness! Leaves and potato both!

Super cool. Thanx for the close up. Can really see the difference.
The preparation is interesting. I love learning about new types of plants. Especially if they are edible or have medicinal qualities.
Thanx for sharing.
Are you going to plant the whole tuber?

Back