• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018, my first attempt at autopots

Dear fellow pepperheads,

After being inspired by reading the glogs here and elsewhere, I figured it was time to write my own, and post about progress, issues and thoughts related to my grows. This is only my second year of growing peppers, and went from 2 plants last year (Jalapeño and Peter Chili) to now wanting to grow a few more for better variety and a larger stock to get through the winter, give to friends/family etc, you know the drill. :)

So my modest grow list is now:

Aji Benito (local nursery)
Numex Orange Spice (local nursery)
Jamaican Bell (local nursery)
Bhut Orange Copenhagen (local hardware store)
Corno di Toro (local nursery)
Sweetbite Yummy (local hardware store)

Last year I grew in a grow bag, and while the jalapeño worked pretty well, the Peter Chili only gave me 3 chilis despite growing to a nice bushy plant. My guess was that the less than optimal summer weather last year meant it didn't get hot enough (it kept having flower drop) , which is why this year I invested in a small greenhouse/cold frame. This should be able to house all 6 plants I hope, and already gets to the mid- and high-thirties (degrees C) during the day and therefore will hopefully support even the B.O.C..

In addition, I also invested in 6 autopots, or better put, 1x Easy2grow kit with 2x extension kits, which from what I could find online, should help produce a bumper crop. I'd love to hear what people here have experienced, as the number of people growing peppers in them for fun still seems somewhat limited when browsing the web.

I bought the small plants on April 12th, some from the local hardware store, but most from an organic local nursery, which specializes in pepper plants and acclimatizes them to the Danish climate already from seedling onwards. So while that means slower growth at first, it means the plants are more robust which I could see when comparing them with the hardware store ones while the night temps were still low. The hardware store ones for sure were unhappy <10C, while the nursery ones have been fine down to the 6C I've exposed them to. On colder nights, I moved all the plants indoor, and kept the hardware store bought plants indoor day & night until just last week.

Plants were put into the autopots in the last week of April, and are growing in a 35/35/30 mix of soil, coco and Leca. As recommended, there is a ~4cm layer of Leca at the bottom of the pots to improve drainage. For those unfamiliar with autopots, they use a smartvalve which allows all the water to be used by the plant before allowing the trays to fill up again, and is completely gravity-powered and thus maintenance free. It comes with a 47L tank, which should be sufficient for up to 6 plants exactly. For nutrients, I'm using a standard 3-1-4 liquid fertiliser which is optimized for drip systems etc, and shouldn't clog the autopot system.

Currently, plants are still standing on a raised box inside the cold frame as they're still a bit smaller than expected and I want them to get as much sun as possible, but will move them into their final position in a week and a half and let the smartvalves take it from there. Both the Sweetbite Yummy and B.O.C. have started flowering already, but I picked the first 6-7 flowers to encourage further growth, but from now on will let them do their thing. FYI, all plants except the Aji Benito and Numex Orange Spice were topped to encourage bushy growth, given the limited height I have available in the cold frame. So far it seems to have paid off, besides the obvious delay in vertical growth and flowering. My hope is that by the end of June, everything is flowering and producing pods, so that I can start harvesting from August onwards. But let's see! :)

All in all, I'm very excited this year and can't wait to see how the planning and new technology etc pans out, and will post regular updates here for those interested.

Sweetbite Yummy:
1b8b20f48db2c09d5c44244107cb58c3.jpg

B.O.C.:
8f6a38765400fc0e943fa50dc0816096.jpg

Topped B.O.C.:
f5a34826e5c9759c0982318ea90c99c8.jpg

Topped Sweetbity Yummy:
49dcd0b5c3dd23e299448fc1efaa97a4.jpg

Jamaican bell:
ddefc675e0f39e58091037701c4319f0.jpg

Corno di Toro yellow:
9397fe69aea95a251234c8feb7f92548.jpg

Numex Orange Spice:
c59fdc3c1b7188bec26d13bc59c1764f.jpg

Aji Benito:
5eb7facb7a3fd093474480582ed85b03.jpg

And the whole collection outside:
4159e85acb2c6e2a92395a4a7e93747e.jpg

As you can see, most plants were very small at the start, but given that it was only April 12th, it should all be fine

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk

April 29th:

9ec7ff0b8aa30911eec0d390cb4391d4.jpg

April 30th (B.O.C. and sweetbity yummy inside - look at all that bushy growth coming up now! :))
6d2c87d2079d7b05c143e13d190c62dd.jpg

May 1st:
24477145f4cb5e63540d8dea4350e0fa.jpg

May 1st - The Jamaican bell is starting to get a bit leggy:
321cb61df7605b3a35565c3c591ae484.jpg

May 9th: (topped the Jamaican bell, left top; Untouched Numex Orange Spice, right top; topped the Corno di Toro Yellow, right bottom; untouched Aji Benito, left bottom - this plant is already getting nice and bushy, so won't top it)
d32faf06611ce7a5279e8d3bd2025e03.jpg

May 16th:
a7e64bd154bf499bf502366629a0d6b4.jpg

Look at that Aji Benito grow (left bottom)! :) New growth really picking up now on the Corno di Toro Yellow at the bottom right, the Numex Orange Spice (right top) is also finally having a growth spurt, and the Jamaican Bell (left top) is also getting much bushier now. We can be really thankful for the weather here, as it's been sunny for the last month and a half which is highly unusual. Night temperatures are still hovering between 7-10C, so it's a little cold which I'm sure is stunting growth. But as I don't want to have to take them in and out every day, I think it is fine.

Also a question for you guys, does any of you pH your water to reach the pH5.5 - pH 6.5 as recommended for peppers? My tap water is pH7.5, so I'm considering using acetic acid to lower the pH, but am reading about mixed results...

Looking good!
Sounds great with the autopots, where did you get them? I'm from Denmark too, but haven't found any growing equipment that didn't cost a fortune. 

Good luck with the grow! 

Thanks!
I got the autopots from plantekasse.dk as they were decently priced and have excellent customer service. They quickly replaced a missing part free of charge so I will for sure go back there, even maybe for seeds if I start from scratch next year.
DK Peppers said:
Looking good!
Sounds great with the autopots, where did you get them? I'm from Denmark too, but haven't found any growing equipment that didn't cost a fortune. 

Good luck with the grow! 

Great suggestion, and if I can find a container that's not too ugly, big and expensive for my significant other, I will for sure try to go down that route!
Chilidude said:
You could try collecting rainwater somehow and using that to water the chilis as it have the optimal ph for chili growing, but if the chilis grow and look ok using the tapwater without any ph adjusting i would just go with that if no rainwater is available.

lespaulde said:
Great suggestion, and if I can find a container that's not too ugly, big and expensive for my significant other, I will for sure try to go down that route!

I got this diy 200 litre rainwater collector next to my greenhouse:
IMG_20180502_175103_1.jpg

At the moment i am running low on rainwater as we have not had any significant rainfall for ages by now.

Where did you get your pepper plants from?

I hardly ever see any except for plants with what looks like made up names in Lidl or other places like that.

Please don't complain about the lack of rain ;)  I wouldn't want to be jinxed and get a 'summer' like last year :confused:

Nulle said:
Please don't complain about the lack of rain ;)  I wouldn't want to be jinxed and get a 'summer' like last year :confused:

Cant get any worse than last summer, it is only up from there even if i complain about the lack of rain all day long. ;) Rainfall will come eventually this season too, it is only a matter of time.

Thanks Chilidude, if I had space for such a one, I'd use it. I'm eyeballing a slim 100L one from Amazon a bit, as this could potentially fit next to our house.

And I agree with Nulle, let's not jinx the weather gods this year! :D

I got the plants from Plantorama and Tøftegaard nursery, but I've also seen many on offer at Silvan and you can also order from Barney.dk which has a great variety. Next year I'm thinking to start from seed though, as it's SO much cheaper.

But look at how much they're growing, they're loving the heat and sunny, long days:
564330eaaad65afe5c0c34170212ff48.jpg
6470a9be324b926d8f17216488045a51.jpg
a549f26b94d3b4a38f839852b554e33c.jpg
b404207cb3a13abb413efa4d1df083ec.jpg

Chilidude said:
You could try collecting rainwater somehow and using that to water the chilis as it have the optimal ph for chili growing, but if the chilis grow and look ok using the tapwater without any ph adjusting i would just go with that if no rainwater is available.
I live near farms and they spray a lot of chemicals on their fields... especially the cotton fields, which are most common. Wouldn't that make collecting rainwater a bad idea for people in my situation?

Ghaleon said:
I live near farms and they spray a lot of chemicals on their fields... especially the cotton fields, which are most common. Wouldn't that make collecting rainwater a bad idea for people in my situation?

If that chemical doest directly end up in the rooftop or similar place you are using to help collect the rainwater i dont see it having much of an effect to the overall quality of the rainwater.

lespaulde said:
Thanks!
I got the autopots from plantekasse.dk as they were decently priced and have excellent customer service. They quickly replaced a missing part free of charge so I will for sure go back there, even maybe for seeds if I start from scratch next year.

I'll probably just stick with regular pots for now, although fancy new equipment is always exciting!

Starting peppers from seeds is probably my second favorite part of the season (only surpassed by harvest time).
If you decide to start from seed next year, you could just save some from this year, and if you want different variety, I could send you some from my stock, just PM me if interested, my list is not especially long though.

Plantekasse.dk is great for seeds too, almost all of my new varieties this year are from their site.

I also have a lot of seeds so if you know which kind you want to grow next year you can PM me too and maybe they're in my stock..

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the offer and might end up taking you up on them hahaha! :) I can imagine it adds a lot of fun to a therefore longer growing season, so I'm definitely looking at options including LED lights etc, given our dark winters over here (understatement perhaps? ;)).

A cheap 45W LED light has worked out great for me! I started my first couple plants in november (waay too early), but I was able to harvest my first Lemon Drop about 2 weeks ago, I would definitely recommend going that route if you want to expand you growing season. 

DK Peppers said:
A cheap 45W LED light has worked out great for me! I started my first couple plants in november (waay too early), but I was able to harvest my first Lemon Drop about 2 weeks ago, I would definitely recommend going that route if you want to expand you growing season. 

hmm that sounds good! Which one did you get?

I figured it's time for another update, as plants are doing really well. The first flower has really set on the bell pepper, and also the B.O.C. and Numex orange spice are starting to form flowers. The hot and sunny weather has really been paying off these weeks! :) Soon I'm gonna put the pots in the final position as they are currently on top of a box for height, but I think they've grown tall enough to be put at the bottom so that they have plenty of room to grow and I can actually turn on the autovalves.

a1f9dec89b9732f275d84cf1f0e7fe1d.jpg

The first real flower with plenty of pollen on the sweetbite yummy bell pepper:

213e48d54fcdba393532af494121af3f.jpg

I have already removed ~8 flowers (or the green growth that would become a flower) from the B.O.C., so I think now it's time to see if we can start getting some pods:

771e5d417431a5dd41381b80d6e0fd99.jpg

The numex orange spice is now also really ready to flower. Haven't picked any of the flowers on this plant, as it was so tiny to begin with and finally has gotten a good growth spurt. What are you guys's opinions, should you pick the first 5-10 flowers to encourage further growth, or is any pod a welcome pod and will it not matter too much in the long run if you let the plant do its thing?

f27422dba1abcced8bad05f0eed7e042.jpg

Then lastly, I noticed something was gnawing away at the leaves on my Aji Benito, but I could not find any snails or what not:

dbc95268fa2bab0c8ddb0e059218ab56.jpg

When I then looked at the numex orange spice plant, I noticed one of the leafs was curled weirdly (you can spot it in the first picture). Guess what I found living inside there:

15cef130a7d23c3e6a89a0ec9be681ae.jpg

e7b2d2e5b9c520dc316bd71898d78734.jpg

So there was the culprit. I kindly put it on a tree at the other end of my garden, and wonder what species this is...

Anyways, lot's of exciting growth, and my hopes of getting flowers by June have been met so far! :)

Back