• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

For those of you with deep pockets and a desire for change

D3monic said:
i'd charge that much just for having to sit there and pick that many. 
Yeah, I've got a bunch of volunteers this year, because I got tired of picking them at the end of the season last year and just let them rot.

Pushing your business R&D costs onto customers and hoping that they're feeling generous has a high probability of failure. Not that I want them to fail, but it's not a good practice.

I realize that it was a frustrating and expensive venture for them but that was their choice, not the customers.

Jubnat said:
Yeah, I've got a bunch of volunteers this year, because I got tired of picking them at the end of the season last year and just let them rot.

Do you mean your peppers in general or did you grow this rare pepper out last year?

Winegums said:
Pushing your business R&D costs onto customers and hoping that they're feeling generous has a high probability of failure. Not that I want them to fail, but it's not a good practice.

I realize that it was a frustrating and expensive venture for them but that was their choice, not the customers.

I feel like average amount of seeds in a pod should be disclosed as well so people know what they're getting into. With high viability and people sharing, these can be as cheap as all the others eventually. No pepper should be 11k a pound.

Ghaleon said:

Do you mean your peppers in general or did you grow this rare pepper out last year?

I meant this pepper.  It's definitely not too rare.  Got my seeds from White Hot Peppers.

Winegums said:

Naw.  The goal isnt to sell boxes at that price.  The goal is to be able to send free samples with every box of other peppers a person buys.  Also with seeds.  I always send extras, hoping to get enough of these that it can be my go to free seed stock also.  So not actually planning on selling any this year, but if someone has money and wants to support the project or just make me sit in one spot for hours, well OK.

I do weird stuff like this all the time.  A dentist once offered me $150.00 on a pattern welded Damascus knife that was priced at $300.00.  I turned to a 20 something fair goer who was in love with the thing, asked him how much he made an hour, and offered it for that price times ten cause I spent ten hours on the knife.  I think he made like $7.50 so $75.00.  He was thrilled, Dentist complained to management.  Management laughed.  Its kind of a fight club / working class thing.  Dont get me wrong, I will take rich peoples money.  But sometimes, you gotta get their balls.

PS - Does anyone know what the heck is up with the price.  Asked before and nobody had any reason that made sense.  All I can figure is someone is selling them and spoofed the media or something.

AJ Drew said:
PS - Does anyone know what the heck is up with the price.  Asked before and nobody had any reason that made sense.  All I can figure is someone is selling them and spoofed the media or something.
I think it was just being sold by weight. The super small size and weight, coupled with rarity and novelty factor would drive the price way up I think. Not sure about the official story.

AJ Drew said:
I do weird stuff like this all the time.  A dentist once offered me $150.00 on a pattern welded Damascus knife that was priced at $300.00.  I turned to a 20 something fair goer who was in love with the thing, asked him how much he made an hour, and offered it for that price times ten cause I spent ten hours on the knife.  I think he made like $7.50 so $75.00.  He was thrilled, Dentist complained to management.  Management laughed.  Its kind of a fight club / working class thing.  Dont get me wrong, I will take rich peoples money.  But sometimes, you gotta get their balls.

Sounds like you've got something against people with money (or dentists lol). To me bartering is an art. I don't care who has money, who doesn't. That dentist you snubbed as rich trash was probably a hard working person and that kid was probably a trust fund baby :lol:. In other words you never know. But who cares? Why so contempt over bartering from a dentist?

AJ Drew said:
A dentist once offered me $150.00 on a pattern welded Damascus knife that was priced at $300.00.  I turned to a 20 something fair goer who was in love with the thing, asked him how much he made an hour, and offered it for that price times ten cause I spent ten hours on the knife.
:rofl:

Does anyone have an actual spot price for these peppers? I see the oddity central post circulated a lot.

AJ Drew said:

As a hobby blade smith that got me laughing. 

Back