• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Goal: Cheap, Low Maintenance Outdoor Hydro

Some of you may remember my experiments in outdoor hydro. Over-time I have refined the process and I think I have a system I like. I expect it to last 3 years without replacing anything. I wanted to design this from scratch because I'm making a bunch for friends. You could probably recycle some stuff from around the house by copying the general design idea.

I was originally looking just to buy a table or shelf on-line and add the hydro components. It turns out building one yourself is cheaper. Here is the sketch:

The angle brackets are .75 aluminum angle 1/8 thick.
The boards are 2X3 and fencing boards. The fencing boards are like 1X6. I use them to prevent sideways torque.. they do a good job.
The tub is a mixing tub from a hardware store

Here is a picture in real life. I found that the structure was strong enough that I took out one of the 1X6 boards.
To hold the tub I used easy splice rope. This help drainage and  pulls the corners in.

This is the key part. I create a liner out of landscape cloth. The wrinkles are intentional. They keep the roots from going in circles around the edge of the tub. The roots should get diverted and spread out. 

Now the medium is 50/50 coco and perlite. I have tried different mediums and this is my favorite. Also, this medium is dense enough that you only need 5 gallons of nutrient to fill the whole tub. This is a ground cherry plant. I added the chicken wire to weave the branches make it as compact as possible.

The plant looks a little weak. I started it inside and just planted it out. I'll add some updates.

Let's see:
reservoir is a black 5 gallon bucket
pump is the cheapest I could find
I used 1/2 inch grommets and tubing.
Feed cycle is 2 a day but I have done 4X in the past and it works well.

Excellent and thank you.  In love with the idea of outdoor aquaponics and that translates well.  Do wonder, doesnt a heavy rain screw with your nutrient mixtures?

AJ Drew said:
Excellent and thank you.  In love with the idea of outdoor aquaponics and that translates well.  Do wonder, doesnt a heavy rain screw with your nutrient mixtures?
It would dilute the mix. That is not a big deal because chiles take a wide range of nute concentrations. They do well from 500ppm to 1000ppm. Also just add more nutes the next day.

You will find that hydro outperforms dirt substantially. So even if you aren't perfectly dialed in you will do great.

Normally I check my nutes every day. This year I'm only going to do it once a week.

This is a picture from a similar system but instead of using a liner I used pots. These are reapers grown in 50/50 coco, perlite

Have goofed with aquapoics before but only on a very small scale.  My goal is mainly to have an excuse to raise koi more than to increase production, but I wouldnt mind faster production.  What I liked about your system is that it looks to be mostly wood.  I build about everything from two by fours, including furniture.

Back