• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First time grower- looking for tips/advice

Good day folks!

As the title states, this is my first year growing peppers, I've been looking into growing them for over 2 years!

Long story short I've been watching people's pepper plants grow huge! I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help my plants get that big. I pruned them early last month, and they branched out. On Monday after I transplanted them outside, they started to set some buds. I'm wondering if I should be snipping them off, or if I should let them be? I've attached some pictures, the buds are hard to see but they're only appearing at the top. Any tips and advice are much appreciated!!

P.S these are Orange Habs and Carolina Reapers !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161551106@N06/shares/8uMv1j

If you're new to growing, the best thing you can do for them, is to not try to love them too much. (or as you stated, "just let them be")
Give yourself an opportunity to identify areas of improvement AFTER a textbook season of just sitting on the sidelines, and letting the plant show you how much it really doesn't need any intervention from you. (watering and possible fertilization, notwithstanding)

Welcome,

It might be just me but your soil looks like itd go muddy or dry out very quickly. Have you grown in that soil previously with other plants since this is your first pepper plant year?

Welcome to THP.  Mulching is great and addresses the soil challenged mentioned.  It takes years, but if you mulch with organic material and then till or turn at the end of the year, it improves the soil year after year.  You are on the right track.

AJ Drew said:
if you mulch with organic material and then till or turn at the end of the year, it improves the soil year after year. 

Or not.  No-till works pretty awesomely, too. :)

Those things are screaming FEED ME!!!

Did you add any fertilizer to the hole when you planted? If not you really need to sprinkle about 3 tbsp of blood meal around the plants and sprinkle some 10-10-10 around the plant and mulch it then water it in.

Clip the old leaves touching the ground and a few upper leaves to open up the plant, that will make the sideshoots grow better. Don't water till the soil under the mulch is dry and they should take off. 

I posted his pic here so everyone can see them begging for food.  :welcome:
Capture1111.JPG

solid7 said:
10-10-10 plus bone meal is a LOT of phosphorus...  Soil isn't usually deficient in Phosphorus.  Just a balanced fert will do fine... ;)
Fixed.

I'm glad you caught that. It should be blood-meal to add nitrogen.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
To answer questions,
1. I moved into the house in 2010 and made the bed but never got around to plant anything after the first year. I dug deep and added some garden soil where I planted and covered it with the old dirt

2. I never put anything in the hole while I was planting. I did however pick up some Miracle gro shake and feed from Canadian Tire.

Looks like I'll be adding some mulch and might clip leaves *I'm scared to do so*! Not sure if Miracle gro shake and feed is a good fertilizer though, any recommendations on fertilizers would definitely be appreciated!

Edit* Also will add bloodmeal

Back