• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wet weather

My peppers did ok last year, but it was very wet and mild. It seems to be shaping up the same way. Here in NJ, I can't get out the cycle of wet and gray. Most of the last 3 weeks seems to have been rain of some kind. This did in my tomatoes last year. The peppers were mostly ok, but definitely affected. 

We use kind of a Hügelkultur system of raised rows.  In part because we started with a lot of clay, but also because we get tons of wet, then tons of dry.  Raised rows and sloped property help prevent puddling and keep the roots out of the soak.  The Hügelkultur system puts lots of decaying organic material in the raised row to capture and store moisture.  The old Germanic system was done in much larger rows, often with logs but you can use tree limbs, grass, leaves, and the likes.  Works great when your weather is not constant around the year.  It is also good for changing weather from season to season.  That, and it is lazy way of composting by doing it in place.

Give the word a google, there are a couple references you can find.

Ive got a couple that are not liking the extra rain we got lately. Makes it harder and more costly to use liquid fertilizer too. Those plants get some granular/pellets to help them out.

My basement is flooded and so is my back yard (where I grow). I had to dig up a few plants because they were staying completely surged (they're only maybe 6 inches tall and I buried the stems a little deep). The loose dirt dropped down or floated into a puddle and the holes filled with water.

AndyW said:
My basement is flooded and so is my back yard (where I grow). I had to dig up a few plants because they were staying completely surged (they're only maybe 6 inches tall and I buried the stems a little deep). The loose dirt dropped down or floated into a puddle and the holes filled with water.

I am still trying to get around to fixing my basement after a flood.  Much luck to you.

We haven't had two straight sunny days without rain in almost a month now. Can't get out to fertilize or cultivate the red clay til it dries out some, and with the 60mph winds last night, all my plants are layed over. Hopefully tomorrow is dry enough to go out in the fields and stake them.

Tell me about it we haven't had must dry days or sun in VA either lately. I'm lucky to not be in the floodplain but even still the rain is enough to cause issues no matter where you are it seems all soil is saturated. I'm in grow pots so they drain alright but I just got them hardened before all this started. Now when the sun does come out they wilt like newbies again so I put them in half day sun. They are short enough to not be bothered by the windy days. On my second week of fish/seaweed but trying to time it so the rain doesn't just flush the nutrients down the road.

Who knows maybe they all have massive root systems and ready to hit that growth spurt when this all blows over.

Some of my beds may be more depleted than others, as well. Overall, they're holding up pretty well. One bed in particular is the pits, so maybe it is a lack of nutes. The pots are mostly good, too, but a bunch of my superhots are flagging a bit. Hopefully, they turn a corner. I sometimes forget that even though it's been raining a lot, if we get a stretch of a couple days in the 80s, the garden (in particular, the pots) is thirsty.

I feel your pain. As I said in an earlier post, all my peppers are now outside. Of course the weather cools off immediately, and today it actually hailed. HAILED. I havent seen my plants yet, Im not sure I want to.

Two days after some of our streets flooded, my backyard clay soil almost cracks if you walk on any that's been exposed and rid of grass. I was hesitant to water too much, but I guess that wasn't too good of a worry, as the plants I put back in the ground with minimal water were completely wilted today

We had a wind storm yesterday and found out today some of the city is still without power, had intermittent heavy rain but not constant luckily, tree damage is extensive, people cleaning up their back yards, Firetrucks patrolling the area and doing maintenance, we had a tornado warning yesterday too.

https://chatnewstoday.ca/article/561345/severe-thunderstorm-warning-issued-southeast-alberta

93km winds
wind%20storm%20damage.png

Attachments

• 35082916_10155772149632635_2816472203611078656_n.jpg
    35082916_10155772149632635_2816472203611078656_n.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 53
ako1974 said:
My peppers did ok last year, but it was very wet and mild. It seems to be shaping up the same way. Here in NJ, I can't get out the cycle of wet and gray. Most of the last 3 weeks seems to have been rain of some kind. This did in my tomatoes last year. The peppers were mostly ok, but definitely affected. 
We had 3 days last week that didn't get out of the 50s for highs and still barely touching 70 now. I usually want as much rain as possible for my containers and other hobbies,it's been a bit much though.

Took a tour of the garden today. The in-ground peppers are downright sad looking, but fighting the good fight. The potted ones are doing better. It's not that my beds don't drain well, it's just there's been so much rain. If it dries up, I think these peppers will recover - most of them - but they're delayed now. 

I need to rethink my planting strategy for next year. There is way too much spring precipitation here now; the cool temps don't help either. I'm not sure if it's a different style of beds, planting out later, all pots, some of all of the above. It sucks putting in all the work to germinate and raise healthy plants and watch them wither. But I guess that's gardening/farming. 

ako1974 said:
Took a tour of the garden today. The in-ground peppers are downright sad looking, but fighting the good fight. The potted ones are doing better. It's not that my beds don't drain well, it's just there's been so much rain. If it dries up, I think these peppers will recover - most of them - but they're delayed now. 

I need to rethink my planting strategy for next year. There is way too much spring precipitation here now; the cool temps don't help either. I'm not sure if it's a different style of beds, planting out later, all pots, some of all of the above. It sucks putting in all the work to germinate and raise healthy plants and watch them wither. But I guess that's gardening/farming. 
Don't be afraid to put a tarp over them if it's raining too much!  Can make a huge difference.

Back