• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Orange Cherry Bomb - do they ever germinate?

So there have been 2 peppers in my entire growing life, that just wouldn't do it for me.
1) Fatalii Jigsaw (approximately 10-15% germination rate)
2) Orange Cherry Bomb (0% germination rate)
The Fatalii jigsaw took 2 years to get one good plant to pop.  That plant was summarily wiped out in a hurricane.
Orange Cherry bomb, however, is a bit of a nuisance.  3 years ago, I got a live plant.  It was raised in a hydroponic ebb and flow setup.  The plant was a huge success.  It quickly grew into a short shrub, with a main stem almost 3/4" in diameter.  The fruit were amazing.  Picture perfect, and thickwalled. So, as I normally do, I took some seed stock.  And every grow cycle since then, I've put them out, hoping to grow those beauties once more.
However, in 3 years time, no single orange cherry bomb has EVER germinated.  Not one.  Black Jalapeno, Fresno, every other anuum that was supposed to be a pain, popped up without a hitch.  But not OCB.  IN fact, I was so agitated, that this year, I set out one big container, and planted out the remainder of my seed stock, all in one shot. (several dozen seeds)  That was a week ago.  Still not a single trace of hooks.  In less than 5 days, I already had cotys on Red Dom Habs and Aji Amarillo.
So what the hell?  Is this just my bogey pepper?  Or is this plant sterile?

Naga Viper is one of mine.  Either it wont grow or it doesnt grow / pod right.  I got some to come up this year, we will see if they grow right.  So I know your pain brother, I know your pain.  It its like each pepper has its own deity and some just dont like us.

bob65 said:
I don't think that I would give up on a seed after only one week.

I don't give up on seeds after a week.
I have had seeds that didn't germinate for over 30 days, in the past.
But this isn't one of them.  These seeds are assholes.

AJ Drew said:
Naga Viper is one of mine.  Either it wont grow or it doesnt grow / pod right.  I got some to come up this year, we will see if they grow right.  So I know your pain brother, I know your pain.  It its like each pepper has its own deity and some just dont like us.

Yah...  Maybe it heard me say that I don't like the color orange. It's one of the few orange peppers that I've ever (intentionally) planted.  I have a distinct preference for red peppers. 
That still doesn't excuse this behavior.
I have a damn near 100% germination rate aside from these two, and I can't have them dragging me down.

solid7 said:
Orange Cherry bomb, however, is a bit of a nuisance.  3 years ago, I got a live plant.  It was raised in a hydroponic ebb and flow setup.  The plant was a huge success.  It quickly grew into a short shrub, with a main stem almost 3/4" in diameter.  The fruit were amazing.  Picture perfect, and thickwalled. So, as I normally do, I took some seed stock.  And every grow cycle since then, I've put them out, hoping to grow those beauties once more.
However, in 3 years time, no single orange cherry bomb has EVER germinated.  Not one.  Black Jalapeno, Fresno, every other anuum that was supposed to be a pain, popped up without a hitch.  But not OCB.  IN fact, I was so agitated, that this year, I set out one big container, and planted out the remainder of my seed stock, all in one shot. (several dozen seeds)  That was a week ago.  Still not a single trace of hooks.  In less than 5 days, I already had cotys on Red Dom Habs and Aji Amarillo.

There is a good chance that you harvested the seeds before the pod was fully mature.  I think that with some of the boutique color varieties it can be really hard to discern between a pod being fully ripe and when the actual seeds are mature.  Maybe try to get some commercial seed stock or trade?

As others have said, a week isn't really long enough for some species, but for a C.annum it is getting close to the cutoff window.

My personal nemesis has been the Shabu Shabu Jolokia.  I received two sets of seeds a few years ago but one of the pods/sets had the appearance of being heat dried.  I've never been able to get either of the sets to germinate.

KingLeerUK said:

There is a good chance that you harvested the seeds before the pod was fully mature.  I think that with some of the boutique color varieties it can be really hard to discern between a pod being fully ripe and when the actual seeds are mature.  Maybe try to get some commercial seed stock or trade?

As others have said, a week isn't really long enough for some species, but for a C.annum it is getting close to the cutoff window.

My personal nemesis has been the Shabu Shabu Jolokia.  I received two sets of seeds a few years ago but one of the pods/sets had the appearance of being heat dried.  I've never been able to get either of the sets to germinate.

I suppose that I could consider that as a possibility.  My mouth says otherwise, and the seeds should have had at least one germination out of all of that I planted.   But again, I do concede that it's not beyond the pail of possibility.
I'm not sure why anyone thought that I was giving up after a week.  I was simply pointing out that most all of my seeds are showing twin blades by day 5, and these bastards were 7 days in, and not even interested in breaking surface.  I'll actually leave them in for a full month, before I consider them fertilizer for the next batch of seeds. :D

Back