• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bahamian peppers?

There's a slight possibility that I may be able to visit the Bahamas within the next couple of months. Aside from the Bahamian goat, as well as any scotch bonnet I see, does anyone have any tips on what to look out for when it comes to peppers? Tips on where to possibly get them would also be appreciated (If it happens, I'll most likely be in Freeport).

Thanks everyone. I'll only be there for a few hours, so I won't have much time to explore, but I've been looking up local markets in Freeport and Nassau. I got lucky so I'll be in Nassau on Saturday, which is the day that the Doongalik farmer's market is open. Hopefully I find something there.

Bicycle808 said:
good luck.

my best advice is, grab SOMEthing, even if it doesn´t see esoteric or special at the time.  Otherwise, you run the risk of kicking yourself for not jumping on the opportunity when you had the chance....

That's a good idea. I plan on getting at least one of anything outside of a grocery store bell or something. If they taste any good or unique, I'll get more than enough to save and share. 

If you don't find any let me know My goats are doing good right now I could send you a few pods. The seeds are a bit slow to germinate and they do need to dry..., but they live a long time.
My new ones  seem to stall out for weeks before they get there second leaves
My first plants are 5 or 6 years old.  I would have to look up my old posts? I got my one pod from Andros. My business partner lived next to a goat pepper farm. Ours are very orange
and not peach in color. Maybe it is an Andros thing. We call our hot sauce Andros GOLD lol I make it and its gone in days LOL we don't sell it :-)
The only one I grow now. If you search my username I think you can find my old posts. I'm not on much these days.

Jdee said:
If you don't find any let me know My goats are doing good right now I could send you a few pods. The seeds are a bit slow to germinate and they do need to dry..., but they live a long time.
My new ones  seem to stall out for weeks before they get there second leaves
My first plants are 5 or 6 years old.  I would have to look up my old posts? I got my one pod from Andros. My business partner lived next to a goat pepper farm. Ours are very orange
and not peach in color. Maybe it is an Andros thing. We call our hot sauce Andros GOLD lol I make it and its gone in days LOL we don't sell it :-)
The only one I grow now. If you search my username I think you can find my old posts. I'm not on much these days.

Thank you for the offer!
I plan to visit as many produce stands as I can in my free time there, so hopefully I find some. 
That's a really interesting story as to how you got into them, and from your old posts, it seems like you grow some killer goats.

All the Bahamian Goat peppers I've had were orange and resembled pumpkins.

I can't help but wonder how it would turn out if crossed with the Pumpkin Habanero.

Well, I'm on the way home now. I ended up leaving all of my notes about farmers' markets at home and had no wifi. In Freeport, everyone I asked pointed me toward a straw market with a now-defunct fruit stand. I lucked out slightly more in Nassau and got a $5 bag full of finger peppers. I was confused about the whole shipping thing and I was on a tour with family for most of our time in Port, so we only went to one fruit market there. They had Habs and finger peppers. I couldn't figure out how to ship anything (and had no time), so I just smuggled a sapodilla and some finger pepper seeds back to the US. Surprisingly, they didn't even check our luggage. They just asked if we had any tobacco or alcohol. I could've brought the peppers but I didn't want to deal with customs for fear of "ag dogs" or xrays, but we were waived through without being checked so it was all for naught.

I'm excited for the finger peppers though, and I think sapodilla are my new favorite fruit. I may try to grow one in a pot.

I actually got more peppers in FL than the Bahamas. Stopped by a farmer's market near the port. I bought a plant labeled "gumball pepper" absolutely loaded with pods for $20. She also picked some off a red pheno plant and threw them in the pot so I could save seed. I also asked about (what I think was) a pequin and she said she didn't have any plants for sale, but invited me to pick as many as I wanted off of the tree she had growing (it was easily 6ft tall and 4ft wide at some points).
Most of these plants will have pictures posted and be mentioned again in some of my upcoming threads, as well as the ppatb thread.

Back