bottles-jars Wax Sealing Bottles

Hi all,

Has anyone here tried wax sealing their bottles? I currently used the plastic shrink wrap sleeves, however here in the UK they're getting trickier to source. I also had my heat gun break during a production, and if it had been for an order, I would've been gubbed! At least you can't fail to melt wax.

Cheers,

Tom

I was at the commercial kitchen last week, making a batch of hot pepper fudge, and saw another client sealing bottles of flavored syrup with wax. I'll try to remember to ask for details next time I see him. If you want, send me a pm to help me remember.

I use a regular old heat gun from the hardware store, the kind used for heating flooring for removal, stripping paint, etc.  $30 or less, not the $89 "heat gun" sold by packaging stores.  Shrink bands shouldn't be that hard to source. Most bottle supply houses have them.

Wax is a tricky thing.  Most kinds are a PITA for the customer to remove.  Hacking at it with a knife and such, some are hard and chip off somewhat cleanly, some are softer and stick to the cap and bottle and make a real mess.  Or you have to install a 'zip-strip' around the neck before waxing, which is another step for you to do.

I've done some wax sealing, and it takes more time and mess than shrink bands.  Depending on how many shrink bands you are going through, I've sold some and shipped international to small quantity processors.
 good luck,
SL

Sawyer said:
I was at the commercial kitchen last week, making a batch of hot pepper fudge, and saw another client sealing bottles of flavored syrup with wax. I'll try to remember to ask for details next time I see him. If you want, send me a pm to help me remember.
Hi,

That'd be great, thanks! Any and all tips are appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi SalsaLady,

Thanks for the info. I honestly have no idea why they're getting harder to source over here. Cheers too for the customer side of things (I can imagine it'd be a pain if the wrong wax or application process was used). I was using sleeves on about 300 bottles and thought it'd never end! I was almost glad when my heatgun decided to give up the ghost!

Thanks,

Tom

Hi DragonFire,

Thanks for that! I hadn't considered cheese wax, but if it's the kind that wraps around a Babybel cheese, then that could definitely work. The almost rubbery feel could be perfect for bottles.

Cheers,

Tom

dragonsfire said:
You can buy "cheese wax" easy enough, low temp, just tip the bottle in a pot.
That's basically what the fellow I saw was doing. They do hundreds of bottles of syrups, bitters, and/or shrubs a day (most days).

I see on their website that only the bitters bottles are wax sealed. I don't know why; something else to ask about.

Back