10 replies to this topic

#1 Elpicante

Elpicante

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:16 PM

So I discovered these two while checking my reapers. The plant is half the spice of my other but it already gave me these two. First is this a Scotch Brain? And two should I Now Move it so it can have some space.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180605_073005.jpeg

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Malarky

Malarky

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

1. Check the label usually located next to the stem.
2. Give all you plants as much room as you can afford

#3 Elpicante

Elpicante

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

1. Check the label usually located next to the stem.
2. Give all you plants as much room as you can afford

No label Mine are all from seeds.

Edited by Elpicante, 06 June 2018 - 08:19 AM.

#4 Elpicante

Elpicante

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:19 AM

Answered Jamaican Mushroom Yellow.

#5 The_NorthEast_ChileMan

The_NorthEast_ChileMan

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • aka:NECM

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:42 PM

Answered Jamaican Mushroom Yellow.

`
If you say so.

Please be advised "yellow mushroom peppers" come in two species, C. annuum (Jamaican Yellow Mushroom) and C. chinense (Jamaican Yellow Mushroom Pepper). How many fruit per node is this plant exibitng?

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein 

#6 Elpicante

Elpicante

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:50 AM

Smokin' hot, it's an annum only one pod per node. I found my old diagram from when I was winterizing

#7 Elpicante

Elpicante

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:52 AM

Smokin' hot, it's an annum only one pod per node. I found my old diagram from when I was winterizing

#8 DontPanic

DontPanic

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

Please be advised "yellow mushroom peppers" come in two species, C. annuum (Jamaican Yellow Mushroom) and C. chinense (Jamaican Yellow Mushroom Pepper). How many fruit per node is this plant exibitng?

I followed the links you supplied.  I wonder if these two vendors are really talking about the same pepper, only one calls it an Annuum, and the other calls it a Chinense.  It looks like they both just cut-and-pasted the same description with some minor variations.

I've seen other THP members speculate and debate about whether the Jamaican Yellow Mushroom is a Annuum or a Chinense.

Are multiple peppers per node a definitive characteristic of a Chinense?

I've seen some people say they look at the Calyx to identify the pepper, but I'm not sure what differences they are looking for.

Other people draw conclusions by looking at the shape of the flower.

I've been growing Jamaican Yellow Mushrooms for a few years now from seeds that came from Jamaican Yellow Mushroom peppers bought at a farmers market.  I was thinking it was a Chinense, based on the similarity to photos provided by Jamaican Yellow Mushroom seed vendors on the Internet.

I suppose it really doesn't matter too much whether it's a Chinense or an Annuum.  It grows well in my climate, and I like the flavor.  That's what really matters.

#9 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:52 AM

Ive yet to smell a annuum that smells like a chinense. Wouldn't it be obvious when you cut it open? Im growing Jamaican Gold this year from CCN. Its listed as a squash pepper and an annuum. I will be greatly surprised if it smells anything like my MOAs from last year.

#10 GreenTomato

GreenTomato

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:16 PM

I always thought the Jamaican mushroom was an annum x chinense hybrid. Mine has traits of both plants

#11 DontPanic

DontPanic

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:42 AM

I always thought the Jamaican mushroom was an annum x chinense hybrid. Mine has traits of both plants

I'm coming around to looking at the Jamaican Mushroom from that perspective.

For some reason, I've held the preconception that when you cross species, the result will fall into one of the two parent species.

If the Jamaican Mushroom is a proper mashup of Chinense and Annuum, then it makes me speculate if it would be a really good platform for crossing Chinense and Annuum characteristics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests