• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Droopy leaves, thin plants

Hi all; I have a few plants that I have been growing (ghosts) which are not looking so hot.  I've attached some photos, and as you ca see, all of the leaves are very droopy.  I know this happens in general with watering or sun issues, and in the past when it has happened, they tend to bounce back when I give them some water.  However, this time around, I am concerned they have been over-watered, as over the last couple of weeks here in Florida we've had a ton of rain.  Although it hasn't really rained in the last couple days, they don't seem to have dried out, and are not improving at all.

So, I am wondering if 1) this diagnosis is correct (too much water)?  The soil seems slightly damp, but not soaked.  Or is there another issue (e.g., nutrient) that could cause this?.  In addition, we are unfortunately looking at lots of rain coming over the next couple of weeks here again, so I'm not sure what to do with the plants.  I've temporarily moved them into a carport in case it comes down today, but there they do not get much sun.  Any suggestions on rain barriers for those of you who live in wet climates?

The first 3 images are of two ghost plants that seem to be doing the worst (though now all of my grown-up ones are starting to wilt a bit).  I have a bunch of young plants in cups that I planted over the lats couple of months outside that seem to be doing better overall.

The last image is the 4 mature ones that I've moved to the carport, from left to right: ghost, ghost, thai, ghost.

Finally, all the plants I have I just grew from seeds of peppers that I had purchased from the store (and I started these 4 last year...they havn't grown much at all since the end of last season).  They seem pretty  thin and lanky compared to most of the photos I see here of other's grows.  Is this likely a cause?  Perhaps seeds from store bought ghost peppers are a gamble? 

Thanks for any feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1109.jpg
    IMG_1109.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 86
Definitely looking overwatered. Give them absolutely zero water until they pop back up. (even if they lose all their leaves)
Until that happens, there is no point in getting into any other aspect of dealing with them.
I am in the same boat. (will literally be in a boat by the end of this week)

Thanks, SH.  Hopefully they dry out soon; seems to be taking forever, even without rain, with the high humidity here.  Perhaps I'll move my younger guys and seedlings under cover too, even if that restricts sunlight, so they don't fall into the same trap.  Not ideal weather when it's forcast to rain all day every day for a week or two...

Man that sucks. We have had a lot of rain out my way too... My plants are all still sitting up straight, but there's far more yella in the leaves than I'd like.

Good luck with your ghost plants. I don't know much, but one thing I've learned about pepper plants is that, usually, they ain't actually dead until they're dead. I predict you'll pull thru this.

veggies said:
Thanks, SH.  Hopefully they dry out soon; seems to be taking forever, even without rain, with the high humidity here.  Perhaps I'll move my younger guys and seedlings under cover too, even if that restricts sunlight, so they don't fall into the same trap.  Not ideal weather when it's forcast to rain all day every day for a week or two...

perhaps since you get so much rain in Florida it would benefit you to move to a more airy mix like the 5-1-1 gardenweb mix that way you can eliminate root drowning. the extra watering an airy mix requires isn't always suitable with people's conditions or with the amount of time they want to spend but it should be no biggie for you since you're getting tropical rains anyways. 

thefish said:

perhaps since you get so much rain in Florida it would benefit you to move to a more airy mix like the 5-1-1 gardenweb mix that way you can eliminate root drowning. the extra watering an airy mix requires isn't always suitable with people's conditions or with the amount of time they want to spend but it should be no biggie for you since you're getting tropical rains anyways. 

I wouldn't recommend that, at all.   It's either raining all of the time, or not at all.  We have a 3 month dry season, and that's when that mix would be an absolute pain in the ass.  Also, 5-1-1 is terrible if you want to build a healthy, biologically diverse potting mix.  It's a medium for holding slow-release granules, and that's just about it.
What I have used with great success, is a nursery mix that is 80% composted pine bark, 10% peat, and 10% regular sand.  It's what a lot of the nurseries in our area use, and what's so great about it, is that while it's only good for one or two seasons in a container, it is one of the best raised bed soils that I've ever seen, when it comes time to recycle it.  I'd sooner point someone there, than to 5-1-1.
The only way I'd use the 5-1-1, is with a super thick top dress of leaf litter or clippings on top of it.  Doing that, though, I'd sooner use straight pine bark and little bit of compost. (which works, btw)

Back