• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Best cheap soil(or mixture) from retail stores for containers?

Hello everyone. I'm in a somewhat rush to find what soil to use for container gardening superhots. I have 2 ghosts, 2 reapers and a moruga scorpion. I want to plant all 5 in 5 gallon buckets from home depot.

I was told to use 1/3 potting mix, sand and compost/manure. Is this good for container gardening peppers?

If so, what potting mix? Just MG all purpose? 

If not, what? I really need to get them planted today and don't have access to anything but Home Depot, Walmart and Lowes. 

I also need an opinion on fertilizer. I have MG All Purpose but was told it's a little high in N and should be balanced for peppers. Is this true? What's a good fertilizer from one of the stores listed above?

Thanks for any help.. Sorry if this is the wrong spot or something. I really just need it answered ASAP to get the soil on the drive home from work.

Since your in such a hurry, yeh get the MG and amend it as you go.  Maybe start a compost pile at home also and add to it periodically.  Walmart has tomato food in fertillizer section for @ 4 bucks for 4 lbs or so.  It works on peppers too.

Like you say, in a hurry, it'll work and get you started.  Improve your soil as you go along.  good luck!

ETA:  Oh, I assume you have nursery pepper plants or your own seedlings ready to transplant?  If so, plant em and don't fertilize til they are established and have multi sets of leaves.  Don't wanna burn em up !  

MG isn't the cheapest, but I'm no expert on soil mixes, so I won't comment on that. However, if you do end up getting MG, you don't really need to fertilize for the first month or so since it's so hot. For fertilizer, you *can* do very well with fish emulsion (5-1-1), but other things work too (not sure if better or worse, but fish emulsion is relatively cheap)

Streamer said:
Since your in such a hurry, yeh get the MG and amend it as you go.  Maybe start a compost pile at home also and add to it periodically.  Walmart has tomato food in fertillizer section for @ 4 bucks for 4 lbs or so.  It works on peppers too.

Like you say, in a hurry, it'll work and get you started.  Improve your soil as you go along.  good luck!

ETA:  Oh, I assume you have nursery pepper plants or your own seedlings ready to transplant?  If so, plant em and don't fertilize til they are established and have multi sets of leaves.  Don't wanna burn em up !  

Thanks for the help.

Do you think just go with straight potting mix or mix 1/3 sand and compost? I have cheap sand and compost ready.

You think the tomato food is better than the all purpose for peppers?

And yes, 2 ghosts and scorpion are nursery, 2 reapers are from seed. They all have multiple sets of leaves and are not tiny anymore. The 3 nursery plants are in tiny containers(one reason for rush) and the 2 from seeds are in 1.5 gallon-ish.

AndyW said:
MG isn't the cheapest, but I'm no expert on soil mixes, so I won't comment on that. However, if you do end up getting MG, you don't really need to fertilize for the first month or so since it's so hot. For fertilizer, you *can* do very well with fish emulsion (5-1-1), but other things work too (not sure if better or worse, but fish emulsion is relatively cheap)

The only other option at my local Home depot(unless it's changed) is Vigoro. I've seen nothing but awful reviews for that.

I found Fish Emulsion, but looking online, won't something so high in N cause lots of foliage but less fruit?

Thanks for the info.

mattbhm said:

The only other option at my local Home depot(unless it's changed) is Vigoro. I've seen nothing but awful reviews for that.

I found Fish Emulsion, but looking online, won't something so high in N cause lots of foliage but less fruit?

Thanks for the info.

I've never heard of that so I can't speak for it, but on the fish emulsion:
As a member by the name of solid7 says and probably will come to say, a plant takes up what it needs, and extra N won't prevent a plant from flowering or fruiting. (He's much more knowledgeable on this topic and can explain it far better). 

I've personally used both fish emulsion and MG Tomato so far and they were both an improvement over straight water. I haven't had the chance to test them since the plants have gotten bigger though.

Never heard of mixing sand into potting mix, not saying it is not good, just never heard of it.

Sta-Green is usually a little cheaper than Miracle Grow, Lowes carries it.

Home Depot sells Alaska Fish. It and seaweed extract are all I use as fertilizer throughout the season.

AndyW said:

I've never heard of that so I can't speak for it, but on the fish emulsion:
As a member by the name of solid7 says and probably will come to say, a plant takes up what it needs, and extra N won't prevent a plant from flowering or fruiting. (He's much more knowledgeable on this topic and can explain it far better). 

I've personally used both fish emulsion and MG Tomato so far and they were both an improvement over straight water. I haven't had the chance to test them since the plants have gotten bigger though.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!!!!

alkhall said:
Never heard of mixing sand into potting mix, not saying it is not good, just never heard of it.

Sta-Green is usually a little cheaper than Miracle Grow, Lowes carries it.

Home Depot sells Alaska Fish. It and seaweed extract are all I use as fertilizer throughout the season.

I don't know if they're liked around here, but it's from Pepper Joe(the use of sand). https://pepperjoe.com/pages/gardening-tips-faq 

Sta-Green is rated noticeably worse than Miracle Gro, so I just thought MG would be better. It probably doesn't matter. MG 50qt is only $14 which didn't sound too bad.

Like I said, I decided against Alaska fish due to it being 5-1-1 but it seems it's loved around here. And results beat words. No idea about seaweed extract. 

Thanks!!

DWB said:
I think perlite is better than sand.

Would that work in a 1/3 mixture in a container? Or less? If I can find it local.

I'll look into it, thanks!!

Thanks everyone for the opinions so far!

mattbhm said:

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!!!!

I don't know if they're liked around here, but it's from Pepper Joe(the use of sand). https://pepperjoe.com/pages/gardening-tips-faq 

Sta-Green is rated noticeably worse than Miracle Gro, so I just thought MG would be better. It probably doesn't matter. MG 50qt is only $14 which didn't sound too bad.

Like I said, I decided against Alaska fish due to it being 5-1-1 but it seems it's loved around here. And results beat words. No idea about seaweed extract. 

Thanks!!

Would that work in a 1/3 mixture in a container? Or less? If I can find it local.

I'll look into it, thanks!!

Thanks everyone for the opinions so far!
Yes, a 1/3 mixture of MG, Perlite, and manure/compost will work fine. Thats what I use, more or less. Sand works well too, but I wouldnt go over 20 percent. Also, im a little confused as to why you are considering the Alaska fish high in nitrogen when you were planning to use something that is 2-3 times higher?

If you want cheap, it's really hard to beat rolling your own.  Simple recipe that works incredibly well:
70% peat
25% perlite
5% good quality compost
Buy a cheap organic fertilizer like Job's or Espoma - either of those has just about everything that you need to get started.  Mix a couple of cups per every 5 gallons, and done.  Keep it simple. 
Overwhelming vote of confidence for Alaska fish.  I wouldn't worry too much about the Nitrogen.  Nitrogen is the most mobile of all the elements that you will give your plants.  It's always going to be one of the most likely to need replenishing, and the least likely to remain in the concentration that you apply it.  And the fish juice is about more than just Nitrogen.  So use it with confidence.

CMJ said:
Yes, a 1/3 mixture of MG, Perlite, and manure/compost will work fine. Thats what I use, more or less. Sand works well too, but I wouldnt go over 20 percent. Also, im a little confused as to why you are considering the Alaska fish high in nitrogen when you were planning to use something that is 2-3 times higher?

Would it be recommended to do 10% perlite 20% sand? Or just 20% sand and 10% extra manure/MG? Just for budgets sake. Only because the big box stores appear to only carry like 10qt bags of Miracle gro perlite.

Like Andy said, high in N in percent to P and K.

Also, I'll ask again below, does it being good compost/manure matter? I picked up a $2 bag of compost a few days ago but I keep seeing "good quality manure/compost". I can give the bag to my sister for her all purpose garden if I have to.

AndyW said:
I think he meant that the N is high in relation to the P and K. Not necessarily that it's high.

Yep!

solid7 said:
If you want cheap, it's really hard to beat rolling your own.  Simple recipe that works incredibly well:
70% peat
25% perlite
5% good quality compost
Buy a cheap organic fertilizer like Job's or Espoma - either of those has just about everything that you need to get started.  Mix a couple of cups per every 5 gallons, and done.  Keep it simple. 
Overwhelming vote of confidence for Alaska fish.  I wouldn't worry too much about the Nitrogen.  Nitrogen is the most mobile of all the elements that you will give your plants.  It's always going to be one of the most likely to need replenishing, and the least likely to remain in the concentration that you apply it.  And the fish juice is about more than just Nitrogen.  So use it with confidence.

So instead of the MG soil/Perlite/Manure, you're saying Peat/Perlite/Manure? Would that make a better base? I'm happily up to it if I am getting as good or better. If not, then we'll see.

In terms of the parts what would you recommend for readily available compost/perlite? On first look, Lowes has super cheap compost and not much else. As for Perlite, they only have the tiny bags of Miracle Gro. I mean I do have some garden shops I could try.

If I did go with the Peat mixture, something like this for fertilizer? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Espoma-Garden-tone-8-lb-All-Purpose-Food/3118083

Along with fish every other week? The guides I found said fertilizer of choice and then epsom salt spray every week alternating. So epsom salt week one, fish week 2, etc.

Thanks so much everyone.. I really appreciate it!!

+1 for fish emulsion. Stuff is awesome. Smells to high hell though. If you're in a rush to get them potted, just get a bag of perlite and whatever soil of your choice. Dr Earth potting soil at Home depot is good for big box stores. Don't get the cheap stuff, they have issues sometimes with mold and fungus and all kinds of weird critters. Mix the perlite in anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3. You can be pretty liberal with the fish goo, it's not going to hurt them at all. 

Unpopular opinion but epsom salt is kind of bs for pepper plants. Often talked like it's the cure-all for everything. Never noticed a difference and chances are you aren't going to have magnesium deficiencies in a the short growing season with pre-amended potting soil. 

peppamang said:
+1 for fish emulsion. Stuff is awesome. Smells to high hell though. If you're in a rush to get them potted, just get a bag of perlite and whatever soil of your choice. Dr Earth potting soil at Home depot is good for big box stores. Don't get the cheap stuff, they have issues sometimes with mold and fungus and all kinds of weird critters. Mix the perlite in anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3. You can be pretty liberal with the fish goo, it's not going to hurt them at all. 

Unpopular opinion but epsom salt is kind of bs for pepper plants. Often talked like it's the cure-all for everything. Never noticed a difference and chances are you aren't going to have magnesium deficiencies in a the short growing season with pre-amended potting soil. 

That's actually an issue. How long does it smell? I may have to put the buckets on the side of the yard if they smell that bad for long.

I'll check out Dr Earth.

I actually noticed Epsom salt immediately perk up my sister's Poblano/Pimento plants. They were slightly yellowish and just unhappy looking. One soaking and they look much better. Not sure about that.

But for mine, I doubt it like you said. Her's are planted straight into the ground with some garden soil. Doing extremely well, but not getting this kind of treatment haha!

Thanks.

Most of the smell comes when you're mixing it. I don't smell it after that even when I use it indoors. 
Peat can definitely be a lot cheaper than mg. I think I got a 3cu ft bale for $5 at Walmart. One of the last ones they had. 

mattbhm said:

Also, I'll ask again below, does it being good compost/manure matter? I picked up a $2 bag of compost a few days ago but I keep seeing "good quality manure/compost". I can give the bag to my sister for her all purpose garden if I have to.

So instead of the MG soil/Perlite/Manure, you're saying Peat/Perlite/Manure? Would that make a better base? I'm happily up to it if I am getting as good or better. If not, then we'll see.

In terms of the parts what would you recommend for readily available compost/perlite? On first look, Lowes has super cheap compost and not much else. As for Perlite, they only have the tiny bags of Miracle Gro. I mean I do have some garden shops I could try.

If I did go with the Peat mixture, something like this for fertilizer? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Espoma-Garden-tone-8-lb-All-Purpose-Food/3118083

Along with fish every other week? The guides I found said fertilizer of choice and then epsom salt spray every week alternating. So epsom salt week one, fish week 2, etc.

Thanks so much everyone.. I really appreciate it!!

Good quality compost matters.  Manure from a box store is a by-product of feed lots.  I fear pathogens from mass produced meat.  I don't use it.
Yes, the DIY peat mix is a much better base than MG.  Every single time.
The fertilizer that you posted would work fine.  Like I said, roll it right into the mix.  Then, make sure you mulch the top of your pots.  It's a little secret to better growing container plants.
Skip the Epsom salt.  If you need to foliar spray with epsom, it means that your plant isn't properly nourished from the ground. (which is where you should be feeding it)  Foliar applications should be reserved for emergencies, IMO.  Please don't join the cult of unquestioning epsom users. :D

peppamang said:

Amen to that. Couldn't agree more.

mattbhm said:

That's actually an issue. How long does it smell? I may have to put the buckets on the side of the yard if they smell that bad for long.

It smells in the jug.  You won't smell it after you apply it.  Pets might, though.  So will outdoor critters.  Not usually a big problem, but be warned.
I still think the pros far outweigh the cons.

solid7 said:

Good quality compost matters.  Manure from a box store is a by-product of feed lots.  I fear pathogens from mass produced meat.  I don't use it.
Yes, the DIY peat mix is a much better base than MG.  Every single time.
The fertilizer that you posted would work fine.  Like I said, roll it right into the mix.  Then, make sure you mulch the top of your pots.  It's a little secret to better growing container plants.
Skip the Epsom salt.  If you need to foliar spray with epsom, it means that your plant isn't properly nourished from the ground. (which is where you should be feeding it)  Foliar applications should be reserved for emergencies, IMO.  Please don't join the cult of unquestioning epsom users. :D

Amen to that. Couldn't agree more.

Thanks for the opinions. I will look for a better Compost but we'll see what I can find. Same with Perlite. Unfortunately unless I can find bigger bags, it would cost a small fortune. It seems on Lowes.com they sell the tiny bags of MG Perlite for $5+.

For peat, cheapest peat or does it matter? I would be getting the huge bail for like $6 if it doesn't.

Any kind of mulch?

I actually had very good results from Epsom as I said. But as I said, I believe it was from not being nourished from the ground. My peppers are all in very small containers with nursery dirt or cheap, cheap, cheapo potting soil. It will soon change, but I believe that's why Epsom salt worked so well.

Thank you.

mattbhm said:

Thanks for the opinions. I will look for a better Compost but we'll see what I can find. Same with Perlite. Unfortunately unless I can find bigger bags, it would cost a small fortune. It seems on Lowes.com they sell the tiny bags of MG Perlite for $5+.

For peat, cheapest peat or does it matter? I would be getting the huge bail for like $6 if it doesn't.

Any kind of mulch?

I actually had very good results from Epsom as I said. But as I said, I believe it was from not being nourished from the ground. My peppers are all in very small containers with nursery dirt or cheap, cheap, cheapo potting soil. It will soon change, but I believe that's why Epsom salt worked so well.

Thank you.

Cheapest peat.  It's gonna be the same stuff that any bagged mix will charge you extra for.
Suggest that you try to find this, for compost: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Just-Natural-0-75-cu-ft-Compost/3426612
No, not just any kind of mulch.  Leaves, grass, hay, are my top recommendations.  All of which you'll have some sort of easy access to.  Pile it thick.  I just dressed my raised beds today.  I piled the weed mowings from my yard in there, between 5 and 7" thick.  For a container, I suggest about 3".  When you're ready to add fertilizer - if you end up needing to do that in a regular growing season - just peel back the mulch, add it, fold it back over into place.

Back