• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Big pods wanted - 2018 edition (what delicious superhots come in jumbo form)

My son decided that he wants to take a foray into growing hot peppers.  Kid has an amazing tolerance. (probably my fault - I started giving him hot peppers at 7 months of age)  And he appreciates a pepper that has great flavor. If I'm growing them, I want a super productive beast, that puts out huge pods.
My first thought was, I'll hit up my old pal 96strat.  He has recommended 7 Pot Madballz.  I don't know much about that variety, but it sounds really promising, and I definitely want that one.
Anybody else got more recommends?  Big pods are king.  I already have Chocolate Bhutlah, but I'd love to hear about more.  I don't really stay up to date on varieties, quite like I should.
Oh, and if you have seed for your recommendations (or the madballz), that would be awesome, also,. ;)

Not sure if you would consider devils tongue jumbo but I've seen some pretty large phenos of it.

Edmick said:
Not sure if you would consider devils tongue jumbo but I've seen some pretty large phenos of it.

I have the standard devil's tongue. I don't mind growing it, but the boy wants hotter...  :fireball:

solid7 said:
My son decided that he wants to take a foray into growing hot peppers.  Kid has an amazing tolerance. (probably my fault - I started giving him hot peppers at 7 months of age)  And he appreciates a pepper that has great flavor. If I'm growing them, I want a super productive beast, that puts out huge pods.
My first thought was, I'll hit up my old pal 96strat.  He has recommended 7 Pot Madballz.  I don't know much about that variety, but it sounds really promising, and I definitely want that one.
Anybody else got more recommends?  Big pods are king.  I already have Chocolate Bhutlah, but I'd love to hear about more.  I don't really stay up to date on varieties, quite like I should.
Oh, and if you have seed for your recommendations (or the madballz), that would be awesome, also,. ;)

Madd ballz are not really huge pods. But they are rather hot and have a very favorable flavor. I have a madd ballz fat pheno in chocolate that actually did produce more girth in the pods. Judy's brown morugas are moderate in size and have both great taste and heat. 
You seem to have disappeared for a while last year, do you still want some of those 7 pot burgundy when they become available again?

CAPCOM said:

Madd ballz are not really huge pods. But they are rather hot and have a very favorable flavor. I have a madd ballz fat pheno in chocolate that actually did produce more girth in the pods. Judy's brown morugas are moderate in size and have both great taste and heat. 
You seem to have disappeared for a while last year, do you still want some of those 7 pot burgundy when they become available again?

Yeah, we talked about trading phenos of 7 pot burgundy, as mine were different than yours.  The only problem is, right now, I cannot locate any of my seed stock from last year. (no idea what happened)  And, my 7 PB got wiped out during Hurricane Irma.  So, unless I find my stock, I am unable to complete a direct swap... Stay tuned on that one.
As for disappearing, I got put in time out for a whole year. I was finishing up my math degree, and frequently filled the empty spaces with idle (possibly unproductive) banter on THP.  Maybe not the best idea - but I'm all better now. :D

solid7 said:

Yeah, we talked about trading phenos of 7 pot burgundy, as mine were different than yours.  The only problem is, right now, I cannot locate any of my seed stock from last year. (no idea what happened)  And, my 7 PB got wiped out during Hurricane Irma.  So, unless I find my stock, I am unable to complete a direct swap... Stay tuned on that one.
As for disappearing, I got put in time out for a whole year. I was finishing up my math degree, and frequently filled the empty spaces with idle (possibly unproductive) banter on THP.  Maybe not the best idea - but I'm all better now. :D

We don't need to swap, I am happy with my 7PB and it is one of a few that I grow that is not chocolate. PM your addy and I will send you seed after harvest. I will be isolating from last years plant for seed stock.

alkhall said:
Large pods; Chocolate Reaper/Scorpion.

Some from last year:

https://i.imgur.com/IJE2mCj.jpg

Cannot say these taste any better than other superhots. To me, the heat just kills the flavor.

Reminds me alot of the Chocolate Bhutlah.  My son absolutely loves those.  Personally, I think they're kinda gross, with a heat so extreme, that I can't really even learn to love them. (those were seriously the hottest things I've ever eaten)  But we'll have those going again.  Maybe those chocolate reapers are an idea.  Got seeds?

CAPCOM said:

We don't need to swap, I am happy with my 7PB and it is one of a few that I grow that is not chocolate. PM your addy and I will send you seed after harvest. I will be isolating from last years plant for seed stock.

Done, thank you.
I don't find these nearly as hot as other superhots, but I do find them extremely delicious.  The plants are stupid productive, and they definitely check the box for huge pods.  I would (will) grow them again in a heartbeat.

solid7 said:

Reminds me alot of the Chocolate Bhutlah.  My son absolutely loves those.  Personally, I think they're kinda gross, with a heat so extreme, that I can't really even learn to love them. (those were seriously the hottest things I've ever eaten)  But we'll have those going again.  Maybe those chocolate reapers are an idea.  Got seeds?

I have those this year as well. but who knows till they pod up and ripen. See glog for more info.

Judy has a lot of large/gigantic phenos of peppers. It may be worth looking at those or asking around for someone with some from her.

How about the 7 Pot Evergreen? They look monstrous.

*I plan on growing them in '19

Not sure about the flavor. I will be growing them for their size and color (for homemade guac).

14697236.jpg

solid7 said:

Done, thank you.
I don't find these nearly as hot as other superhots, but I do find them extremely delicious.  The plants are stupid productive, and they definitely check the box for huge pods.  I would (will) grow them again in a heartbeat.

I agree, they do tend to have more flavor then heat, but that, in their case is not a bad thing. 

20180609_131328.jpg

20180609_131255.jpg

Allowing them to flower because of their maturity. I will continue to over winter this one because of the unique  plant structure and because I know it grows true.

moruga welder said:
Good ol' yellow 7pod !    :party:

But those aren't really that big, are they?  I grew those my first year in containers.  They were a'right, but a little low on the Scovies for the boy...  He just dusted his gums with Chocolate Bhutlah powder a little bit ago.  :shocked:

Alright. Here is my only other suggestion.

The Chocolate Ghost Monster from Fords Fiery Foods. 

I cannot vouch for them, but I am currently growing them!

Description from site:

"These are not like usual ghost, much larger and WAY hotter
Open pollinated, pods are 4-7 inches long and super gnarly"

chghost1-500x500.jpg

chghost-500x500.jpg

Spicy Mushroom said:

Description from site:

attachicon.gif
chghost1-500x500.jpg
attachicon.gif
chghost-500x500.jpg
Great! I have those in my grow this year and have not gotten around to source any info on them. This helps immensely. Mine wants to flower like a tabasco plant.

AndyW said:
Judy has a lot of large/gigantic phenos of peppers. It may be worth looking at those or asking around for someone with some from her.

So... minor distraction, since you invoked a name - which variety is better - Jay's Peach Scorpion, or Judy's Peach Scorpion?

Spicy Mushroom said:
How about the 7 Pot Evergreen? They look monstrous.

*I plan on growing them in '19

Not sure about the flavor. I will be growing them for their size and color (for homemade guac).

attachicon.gif
14697236.jpg

Sorry, I don't know how I missed your post earlier...

Damn, those are almost bell pepper size.  Not quite sure how I feel about green superhots.  One of the most worthless peppers I ever tasted, were the Big Mustard Mama.  I like jalapenos and serranos just fine, and I'm definitely down for the green rocotos. But I'd sure like to hear some opinions on this one before giving it a go...

I like the idea of green superhot sauce...

Spicy Mushroom said:

Description from site:

attachicon.gif
chghost1-500x500.jpg
attachicon.gif
chghost-500x500.jpg

Holy sweet mother of God...  That looks like a winner for sure, right there.

Back