• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hot Pepper Update 6-9-18 PODS!!!

Not a bad start, Tim.  But one small bit of advice...  On the inground peppers, you should really consider adding a thick top layer of mulch on those.  I think this is the second or third year that I've seen your videos.  (I recognized that garden patch)  I am very partial to no-till gardening, and you have the perfect set of resources at your disposal.  With all of that vegetation in the backdrop, there must be significant leaf drop.  I'd be gathering as much of it as possible, and putting it down, all year round.  Before winter comes on, put down a 12-20" layer (or higher) right there in your garden bed, and just let it sit.  Then, don't till the following year.  Just dig your plants a hole, and put them in.
I honestly believe that you will be amazed at how your ground plants will kick, if you make that a standard practice.  It helps with fertility, moisture retention, and most importantly, nutrient retention.  Did I mention, no weeding?

solid7..... That's an interesting idea. I've seen people till leaves, garden refuse, etc into their garden, but never heard of a "no till" practice. I'll have to look into that idea. Thanks for the response.

Tim

peppernovice said:
  solid7..... That's an interesting idea. I've seen people till leaves, garden refuse, etc into their garden, but never heard of a "no till" practice. I'll have to look into that idea. Thanks for the response.

Tim

You're welcome.  You do this for a couple years straight, you will never need to till, anyway. This strategy will loosen even the toughest clay soil.

Back