• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Tabasco Short Yellow - sauce making potential?

So my small Tabasco Short Yellow chili plants have been busy doing their thing and now I have an abundance of peppers. They look so cute...  ;)

But to the business - does anyone have experience making hot sauce with this type of chilli? I also have some Aji Pineapples in the freezer that I've been meaning to use. So maybe this an option for something a little different. I'm not thinking to go the fermentation route, but am open to ideas.

Or maybe they're better in a salsa, jam/marmalade or similar?

Thanks in advance.

They make a good spiced vinegar. Just fill a bottle with the peppers and top it off with very hot vinegar. Seal the bottle and turn it upside down until it cools. I cut the top off of the pepper so the vinegar can get inside the pepper easier. Sometimes i add a little garlic or dried lime basil to mine.

Thanks for all the input. All sound interesting...
(The vinegar could go in the cupboard with the rhum arrangé I'm currently maturing, of course with a couple of birds eye chillies in it for flavour.)

For the Caribbean / Louisiana style sauces are there any references on THP for what they generally consist of? i.e., a starting point or basic recipe.

I am freezing my pods currently.

Cant wait to try those ideas above. Glad I grew two plants.

They are very nice and rewarding for their small size.

Thanks Sandy, (wiriwiri) for the seeds.

:cheers:

Back