• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Use of Crab Apples

I am pretty new to making sauces still, but the house we are moving into soon has a crab apple in the front yard.

I know you can eat crab apples but they are extremely sour and there are a few recipes that incorporate them. I was just wondering if anyone had any recipes that might be able to substitute them in to make a hot and sour sauce? 

My main mission with making hot sauce is to make something that confuses you but you still enjoy. Already working on a strawberry rhubarb sauce that I have no idea how to even start. 

Salsa verde, crab apples for flavor, bulk, and tartness... cut back a little on the lime and vin... onion, garlic, tomatillos, honey, salt, peppers of choice...

Crab apple jelly is wonderful!!!! To bring some peppers into the mix, maybe add some red ripe jalapeno, manzano (get it??;) ) or other sweet red hot pepper.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Add some crab apple to a cider ferment if your apples or juice are not tart enough.

He's making hot sauce.

I know he said sauce....but there are other cool uses for crab apples he might not be aware of. One idea leads to another. :)

So if I want to buy a car I can count on you to send me motorcyle links. ;)

Yep! Keep options open....

I traded a guy some computer parts for use of his cider press (for apples from my tree) and all the crab apples I wanted 4 or 5 years ago.  They'll add a nice bulk and tartness to any hot sauce.  I paired them with roasted onion, garlic and turbinado sugar to go with ripe jalas and scorpions.  Balanced with red wine vinegar, a touch of salt and cherry juice.  Sauce came out brick red with a slow creeping heat.  The kind of heat that keeps coming so you eat more and more of it otherwise the burn takes over.  Have had frequent requests to make more of that batch, but the original recipe was lost as was my ability to get those crab apples.  

Back